reformated hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I reformatted the hard drive on one of my laptops. When I attempted to install XP Home, kept asking for the Product ID. The one on the bottom of the laptop is rejected, the product number on the software is rejected. I finally got up and running with the Gateway restoration disk and am now running ME. Can't use my security software with that version, it is no longer supported. I tried to reload the XP, which I bought for that computer when XP was introduced, and it still will not load, says my numbers are not valid. I downloaded an applet that searched the registry for a Product ID, and XP rejects that id as well. How can I get the computer to accept these valid numbers?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hello Patty,

Thank you for visiting us today Patty :-).  A70M1C is right. Did you receive a Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker with Windows XP you purchased years ago? If so as A7 mentioned please use the product key from that COA to activate Windows XP. Should you need further assistance with COAs please visit http://www.howtotell.com

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 4:35 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:01 PM

All replies

• Hello Patty,

so you have a laptop that had windows ME installed on it. The manufacturer restore discs are windows ME. this would mean you would have a windows ME COA sticker under your laptop.

When you installed windows xp you said "The one on the bottom of the laptop is rejected"

This is Because it is a Key for windows ME.

The numbers/ letters you are entering are not valid.

You will have windows XP Certificate of Authenticity (COA) with the the documentation that came with the copy of Windows XP you purchesed when it was first introduced.

this is the key you need to use.

hope this helps.

A7.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Hello Patty,

Thank you for visiting us today Patty :-).  A70M1C is right. Did you receive a Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker with Windows XP you purchased years ago? If so as A7 mentioned please use the product key from that COA to activate Windows XP. Should you need further assistance with COAs please visit http://www.howtotell.com

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Thank you A7

Stephen :-)
  • I saved all the documentation and the cd that I purchased. I cannot find a COA. All I find is a statement that says Don't Lose this Product Key. The Product key does not work. I don't believe I ever got a COA, just the produce key and it worked before.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Hello Patty,

There should be a COA located on the bottom of each laptop. Based on what I read it appears both your laptops have Windows 98 installed.

-- Are you using Windows XP Upgrade or full version?

--  If using Windows XP Upgrade did you use the Gateway Recovery Media first to restore the laptop then install the Windows XP Upgrade disc? 

-- You said, "the product number on the Windows XP software is rejected". What error codes and/or messaging are you receiving after the rejection occurs?

Patty please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results. This allow us to see what you are experiencing.  Next we will begin to formulate a resolution for the problem. 

The steps are below:  

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.     What edition/version of Windows XP is currently installed or is it another version of Windows?

·        Home

·        Media Center

·        Professional

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:08 AM
  • In answer to your questions: I have Windows ME installed. That is the version that is on the Gateway System Restoration CD. I bought a full version of Windows XP, not an upgrade and installed it on that computer a couple of years ago, no problems.   However the computer got so slow and junked up that I decided to reformat it. I tried to install the Windows XP and kept getting the error message that the key was incorrect. So I ran the restoration disk and now have ME reinstalled. What a PAIN. I cannot run the MGA diagnostic tool because a newer version of Windows is needed. I can't install security software because the Windows version is so old, and that makes me very uneasy. I am using my new laptop with xp Pro to correspond with the forum, but ME is dragging me down on the other laptop.

The XP software is labeled, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.version 2002. There is no manufacture name, just the usual Microsoft information and when I move the cd under light, I see Genuine Microsoft on it.

The cd says for distribution with a new PC only, but I bought it at a retail store, so didn't think it was an OEM version, and it worked fine before. Also says the COA should be attached to my PC, but since I didn't get it WITH my pc, obviously it is not the correct COA on the bottom of the laptop. I have no other pc's that this would be on. So what are my options? Do I have to buy a new software package? I doubt if the laptop is capable of running Vista.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Hello Patty W,

Since your Windows XP CD says "For distribution with a new PC only" we know that it was supposed to come you you as part of a systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer licensing kit:  the genuine hologrammed CD, the green (for XP Home) User Guide thin pamphlet, the genuine Certificate of Authenticity sticker (placed on the back of the pamphlet and ready to be peeled off the pamphlet and affixed to the computer chassis [just like the one for Me on the laptop]), and upon startup after installation the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

Did you licensing kit come with that CoA for XP, and if so, can you find it?  You will need the CoA because the CoA has the Product Key needed for installation.  If you cannot find the CoA label, do you remember writing down the Product Key that you got from the store where you bought the XP Home licensing kit?

Could you verify something for us?  Please insert the CD in the computer then navigate to the \i386 folder on the CD and then find the setupp.ini file, which is a small text file with two sections.  Can you copy and paste the second section in your reply (this file does not have any sensitive information in it)?  We are attempting to verify that the CD is really an OEM CD and not a counterfeit CD.  Also, look very closely at the CD and see if you can determine if the hologram is a thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD or if it looks like it is actually embedded within the plastic of the CD.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:33 PM
  • This is weird and has me more than a little suspicious. I was unable to browse the cd either using My Computer or the browse option on the cd when it started.  I finally went into DOS and grabbed a screenshot of the setupp.ini file.
    I had to type it to the computer in DOS, and this is all that came up. The hologram is not a sticker, it is embedded in the plastic. For the first time, I noticed that the label name for the cd when inserted into the computer is: XRMHOEM_EN. I try to be very careful of what I buy and to run only licensed software. I can't figure out how this happened.

[Pid}

ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF

Pid=55277OEM

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Patty,

What country and store did you purchase this copy of XP from? If not purchased from a store did you purchase online and if so please let us know where.  Please provide us with the last 15 alpha/numerica digits of the product key for the XP you purchased. Unfortunately I can't see the screen shot you posted :(. Also do you have the full PID? It should look something like 55277-OEM-2111907-00103.

Patty when attempting to install XP did you reformat the hard drive and install this way or were you attempting to upgrade ME using your full XP version? Next you mentioned, "the product number on the software is rejected". Were you referring to the XP Product key you received with the disc? Next can you provide us with the exact messaging you received when the software rejection took place? 

Thank you,

Stephen
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:42 PM
  • I was unable to browse the CD to get the full setupp.ini file, so went to DOS. The screen shot would not paste, so I typed in what was included. I will try again.

I bought the CD in the USA. I have to haul out my 2001 taxes to find the receipt and see where I purchased it, but my business records show that I on 10/26/01 for $94.95. I recorded it as an XP upgrade, but I see now that it is the full version. After I reformatted the hard drive, I tried to install directly from the XP cd and used the Product Key, which was rejected. I don't recall every seeing the COA with this software, but after all this time who knows. At the time I bought it I was recovering from cancer treatment and on some drugs, so may not have been as aware as I should have been. I checked my online purchases and do not see it there. I MAY have bought it at a shop in St. Paul, MN which is no longer in business. I recall making a special trip up there to buy software, but don't recall if this is it. I will try to get up into our garage attic and retrieve my 2001 records.

I got the browse to work on my other computer. This is the setupp.ini file.
    [Pid]
    ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
    Pid=55277OEM

When attempting to install I am asked to supply the Product Key which I did. Tells me to look on the COA, which I don't think I ever got! The error message is: The Produce ID you entered in invalid. Please try again. Under the Product Key on my packaging, it says to save this number to use every time I  install this software.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Forgot the Product key digits you wanted. 4G8D4-G42JH-H8W9V
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:25 PM
  • Patty,

Thank you again for this additional information it is helpful. Also there is no need to pull your tax records from the garage. Please visit http://www.howtotell.com . Next please locate How It All Works. Click the first question What is a Certificate of Authenticity?  Patty you also mentioned paying $94.95. I am not sure of the exact price back then but I believe the cost was more than what you paid. The price coupled with no COA would be indicators you do not have a genuine version of Windows. This is very unfortunate. Also you can't purchase Windows XP anymore unless there are businesses that still have some on hand. You would need to purchase the Vista equivalent version.  

Patty there are options available you may take. Customers are given the opportunity to purchase a “WGA Kit” when they fail Windows validation. You’re situation is different because you can’t install XP whatsoever.  Please reference the following link http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cuphone and place a call. Explain your situation and ask if you are permitted to purchase the “WGA Kit”. The cost is roughly ½ of what the original cost would have been. Prior making the call if you would like more details information please visit information: 

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/OrderHelp.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=278ceda3-fc97-4e0a-897a-ebdc7cb537fc 

I would also encourage you to file a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy . Hopefully this additional information will help you. 

Thank you again Patty.

Stephen

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Thanks, I will follow up. You have been very helpful.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Hello Patty w,

Thank you for supplying the additional information.  From your physical description of the holographic label and the contents of the setupp.ini file, IMO there's no reason to think that your CD is nongenuine.  It seems to have the characteristics of the typical systembuilder/OEM CD for XP Home.  Even the price you paid is pretty much in line with what a local PC shop would have charged for the item.

At this point the whole situation revolves around that apparently missing CoA for XP Home that should have come with the CD and pamphlet you purchased.  That CoA has the Product Key on it.  The CoA also has a serial number on it, and in order to request a new Product Key from Microsoft, generally the people at MS you would speak with would use the serial number on the CoA to verify that it is a genuine CoA before they would give you a replacement Product Key.  Here is the KB article that covers requesting a new Product Key:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224

It can't hurt to contact Microsoft as described in the KB and ask them to provide a new Product Key :-)

As Stephen pointed out, Microsoft is no longer selling Windows XP in the retail or systembuilder channels.  The only XP Home Edition copies to be bought now would be stock that a local "mom-n-pop" computer store might still have on the shelf.

Another round-about alternative if you simply cannot locate a genuine copy of XP Home for sale would be to do the installation of XP again with your genuine CD, then search the internet for a bogus XP Home Product Key and use it to activate.  Then install WGA from Windows Updates, let it ID the installation as nongenuine, then take the WGA Offer to buy XP Home at a discounted price.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:46 PM