Looking for thoughts on most confident, ensuring data integrity, way of moving files/folders from old WHS to my new WHS 2011 please. RRS feed

• Question

• I now have my full raid 5 array up and running, initialized, etc. and ready to move all of the files and folders (not client backups) over from the old server to the new 2011 server.  I have both servers on the network and have successfully opened explorer windows on both servers on the client and can copy and paste between 1 server and the other just fine.

Is this the best way to do this?  It seems to work.

Is there a better way that would ensure data packet confirmation?  Back when I played with unix and modems there were commands to confirm data packet copying, is that not really necessary?

In any case, I am going to make 2 (two) separate HD copies also, but curious about best way to move files over.  If I can just cut and paste, great!

Thanks in advance of opinions.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:12 AM

Answers

• Just using the verify option on xcopy only validates that file sizes haven't changed, so that won't do what you really want.

It's possible to copy with verification using the command processor, though I don't believe this is technically "supported" by Microsoft any more, as this functionality is left over from the days when floppy disks were king. :)

Another option is to do some research (Google, Bing, [insert favorite search engine here]) and find a tool that has verification built in. I'll warn you that any such utility is likely to deliver fairly poor performance if you turn verification on.

Personally, as long as I have hardware I trust, I assume I'll get a complete, correct copy using standard functionality. I use robocopy for the actual operation because it's a little more eficient than copy/paste, but you could do more or less the same thing using Windows Explorer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by danieldjb Friday, July 1, 2011 12:23 AM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:44 PM

All replies

• What I have done previously, as you mentioned above simply copied and pasted between explorer windows. It works fine.

To help in case of a copy erroring, I installed Terracopy as it has a log of any issue's that occur during the copy process. If for some reason you get interrupted in the middle of a large copy with terracopy, you can simply start the copy again and simply tell it to skip any files already on the destination folder.

I never cut and paste. I think it is better to copy and paste and then delete from the source folder afterwards.

If required you can set Terracopy to check source and destination checksums as a further intergrity check as well.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Robocopy might be an option also with the /MIR /COPYALL command
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Just using the verify option on xcopy only validates that file sizes haven't changed, so that won't do what you really want.

It's possible to copy with verification using the command processor, though I don't believe this is technically "supported" by Microsoft any more, as this functionality is left over from the days when floppy disks were king. :)

Another option is to do some research (Google, Bing, [insert favorite search engine here]) and find a tool that has verification built in. I'll warn you that any such utility is likely to deliver fairly poor performance if you turn verification on.

Personally, as long as I have hardware I trust, I assume I'll get a complete, correct copy using standard functionality. I use robocopy for the actual operation because it's a little more eficient than copy/paste, but you could do more or less the same thing using Windows Explorer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by danieldjb Friday, July 1, 2011 12:23 AM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Thank you very much all for the input.  Like I mentioned before, great forum being watched and timely.  I appreciate it.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:24 AM