How to restore manually RRS feed

• Question

• I have a family member who is traveling. Their hard drive crashed. I have a good backup on my WHS.

Is there a way to send them the backup and have them restore it without being connected to the server?

Thanks,

Craig
    Friday, February 15, 2008 1:11 AM

Answers

• You can't do a remote restore.... but ...

I assume they have a 2.5" laptop drive that crashed.  You can get a USB hard drive case that holds 2.5" inch drives, or one of those fancy hard drive cable hook-up kits.  Add this drive to one of your existing PCs - let's say it becomes your E: drive.  Now on this PC - Go into Program Files - Windows Home Server - and run Client Restore Wizard.  Select the PC that you want to restore and map the C: drive from the backup to the E: drive (the new drive you just added).

Mail them the hard drive

I use this method to always have a spare hard drive for my laptop when I travel.  

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:50 PM

All replies

• Craig

Not as far as I am aware.

Phil

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Craig, there's no way to restore without any contact with the server.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 2:59 AM
  • You can't do a remote restore.... but ...

I assume they have a 2.5" laptop drive that crashed.  You can get a USB hard drive case that holds 2.5" inch drives, or one of those fancy hard drive cable hook-up kits.  Add this drive to one of your existing PCs - let's say it becomes your E: drive.  Now on this PC - Go into Program Files - Windows Home Server - and run Client Restore Wizard.  Select the PC that you want to restore and map the C: drive from the backup to the E: drive (the new drive you just added).

Mail them the hard drive

I use this method to always have a spare hard drive for my laptop when I travel.  

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Darn. Considering I've recommended almost the same thing a few times to tablet owners who can't get the restore CD to boot, you'd think I would have thought of that...
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:23 AM
  • I have an HP TC4200 tablet PC that just got a new HDD. this machine does not have an internal DVD drive so I got the BSOD when trying to restore with the CD. I just tried the method described above on my desktop PC with the new HDD plugged into a 2.5 inch case with USB adapter. I wnt through all the steps and arrived at the screen where you choose the source volume and the destination. It allows me to choose the correct backup source, i.e. my tablet backup, but when I choose the new HDD connected to the USB I get a red X and it will not let me continue. However, if I select the secont HDD in the desktop PC it goives a green arrow that would allow me to continue, which I obviously dont want to do because I dont want to overwrite the info on that drive. Any suggestions on how to make it restore to the USB? I would hate to have to take an entire day to reinstall all of my programs. At this point I wish that I had used Ghost because I know that it works.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Is the drive you want to restore to formatted as an NTFS drive?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Yes, the I tried a few different drives formatted to NTFS. Correct me if I'm wrong, the difference I think was that the drive was IDE not SATA. However it does not seem logical that IDE would not be supported since there are still alot of machines using this interface. I tried it plugged into a regular IDE ribbon cable as well as through a USB 2.0 adapter with the same result. has  anybody else been able to recover this way? I tried to create a partition on the SATA drive of my desktop and restoring to that, which it did allow, and then doing a disk copy to the new laptop HDD but it would not boot. I tried to use an XP reovery disk to fix the MBR but this did not work either. I am at a brick wall with this thing. I temporarilly reinstalled the OS to get by until I figure it out. Any Ideas??? Thanks in advance for the help.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:11 AM
  • Thanks,

The WHS Restore couldn't see the network card drivers, so I used this method to restore two old Dell laptops.

It worked perfectly first time.

Both laptops now have new hard drives  and everything working as before.

Thanks again,

frank Murphy

Saturday, May 10, 2008 5:05 PM