Mapped UNC Drive Space = Secondary Partition on Primary Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a homebrew WHS setup with Mirrored 80 GB Sata Drives as the main hard drive. Additional storage devices are 2x 500 GB Sata and 4x 250 GB Sata sonnected with silicon image PCI sata cards. I use a script to map a majority of my shared folders to drive letters. The problem is, I frequently move around folders that are above 60 GB in size. The mapped drive sizes all appear with the same size as the secondary partition of the 80 GB RAID, so its roughly 57 GB. Another small portion of that seems to be taken up from duplication.

The problem is, that when I start moving stuff around, it fills up the free space on the mapped drives. I have to wait for WHS to balance the data out to other drives. The same happens when I'm editing a large amount of files (such as photo or music tags) or data (video editing) or P2P apps are running on the server. It just fills up the "buffer" of free space and my mapped drives are useless.

Assessing files from network paths still works fine though.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Friday, November 9, 2007 6:59 PM

Answers

• The solution to your problem is, unfortunately, to replace your 80 GB (effective) array with a larger drive, I'm afraid. Microsoft's recommendation is that the system drive (because of the various uses that WHS makes of it) be the largest drive in the system, at least initially. I don't think that's neccessarily a requirement; something around 300 GB to 400 GB is likely to do fine even if all your other drives are 1 TB.
    Friday, November 9, 2007 10:39 PM