Won't install - says "Copying of files failed: The volume does not contain a recognized file system" RRS feed

• Question

•  This issue has been raised but I've not found a solution.  I'm tring to install on a Dell GX110, 512MB memory, 2 ata drives that don't require drivers.  The dvd drive works as I've used it to install WHS on another machine.  Have tried 4 times and no luck.  I am running WHS on another machine and had no difficulty installing.

Thanks
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:41 PM

Answers

• Put in a video board with lots of memory and no difference.  However, I then put in a SATA adapter card and a SATA drive and, after many attempts of getting a driver installed, it seems to be working - at least it is going through the install process telling me that there ar 53 minutes left.

I'll keep you informed in a day or two.  Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Greatview Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:37 PM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    please try to reinitialize the disks as outlined in this FAQ.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:22 PM
  • No change.  I did a "Clean" then a "Clean All" from a Vista install disk since I can't get the WHS installed on the Dell GX110.  What next?
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:25 PM
  • What happens, if you try only with one drive installed first?
    Is the Bios set to default values?
    Is the IDE controller onboard or a separate card (and if onboard the primary port)?
    Is the cable ok?
    Did setup create volumes? (Should at least be a system volume of 20 GByte.)
    What happens, if you format the volume manually with NTFS from within the Vista environment using the format command?

How and where is the DVD drive connected?
    Are there any other disks (also a flash card reading device)?

Olaf
    Friday, February 13, 2009 4:57 AM
  • I tried with only one drive (120GB) with the DVD drive.  Using cable select.  Tried on both the primary and secondary motherboard connectors.  Tried three cables.  Installed the latest BIOS and everything is default (except for drive specs which are set to AUTO and only those for which have drives, others set to OFF).  IDE controller is on motherboard.  No other boards are plugged in - using onboard video controller.

DVD drive has been connected on same cable as hard drivd and on a separate cable in the other motherboard connector.  Have tried all combinations.

Formatted the hard disk using the Vista disk through diskpart.

After the WHS install process stops, I looked at the disk with diskpart.  List disk shows Disk 0, 114gb  900 mb free.  List volume shows Volume 0 dvd drive and Volume 1 ntfs partition.  List partition on disk 0 shows Primary partition 114 GB 32KB offset.

No flash card or other drive installed.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Hm, that's strange.
    I wonder, if the 512 MB RAM are the culprit - if the video adapter on board takes its share from it, the server would fall below the minimum.
    If the process would have been started, you would have seen at least a system volume with 20 GB and not that one, which you created manually before.

Olaf
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Put in a video board with lots of memory and no difference.  However, I then put in a SATA adapter card and a SATA drive and, after many attempts of getting a driver installed, it seems to be working - at least it is going through the install process telling me that there ar 53 minutes left.

I'll keep you informed in a day or two.  Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Greatview Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:37 PM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:28 AM