Folder duplication fails, but shouldn't RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS has 3 disks: 320 GB (system disk) and 2 x 160 GB (added as server storage).  That leaves me with about 580 GB of storage for shared data.
    I've added 240 GB of data in 11 folders.  I learned about folder dublication a couple of days ago, as an excellent way to backup data.  And have set one folder after another to duplication.
    I understand, that as the smallest disk is 160 GB, folder duplication cannot be used on folders which in all contain more than 160 GB of data (although it should be possible with three disks, but that's another story).
    As of now I have duplication of 6 folders containing a total of 50 GB.  When I try to set duplication of an additional folder (containing 54 GB), I will get an error a long the lines: No more space for duplication.
    By my calculation I should have plenty of space (50+53 < 160) even if a 160 GB hard disk only provides 150GB of space.

How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance!

BTW
    I have a homemade rig:
    WHS w/PP2 on sempron3400+/1GB ram
    Drive extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Storage manager: 6.0.2030.0
    320 GB HD is ATA
    2x160GB HD are both SATA on a a VIA 8237 raid controller added as JBOD - i.e. not as a raid config.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 9:45 PM

Answers

• Well it fixed the problem for now.  After having removed both disks, I re-added one of them and enabled folder duplication for all the relevant folders.
    I worked without problem.  I've now also added the third drive.
    I haven't enabled backup, yet.  But I hope it doesn't mean I cannot add more files to the duplicated folders.  I'll keep an eye on that.
    For now, the workaround was satisfactory for my.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:38 PM

All replies

• Could you tell us what the pie chart on the console's Server Storage tab shows?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Shared Folders: 237 GB
    Duplication:   59 GB
    PC Backups:  64 GB
    System:        20 GB
    Free Space: 196 GB

TIA
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Your numbers don't quite add up, but they're close. I would guess that your free space is spread out among all your drives? If that's the case, you may see the error you report when you try to enable duplication on a large share. I can think of several scenarios that would result in this situation...

I think you should submit this as a bug on Connect . Please be sure to include logs from your server, collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Shared Folders: 237 GB
    Duplication:   59 GB
    PC Backups:  64 GB
    System:        20 GB
    Free Space: 196 GB

TIA

I agree with Ken (in regards to filing a bug report because you shouldn't have to do what I'm about to suggest).  However, one thing you could try is to remove one of your 160 GB drives from the storage pool through the Console (which would then move everything down to 2 drives), then add that drive back to the storage pool again.  This would basically move all of your free space to that drive you removed/added.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 11:08 PM
  • ...However, one thing you could try is to remove one of your 160 GB drives from the storage pool through the Console (which would then move everything down to 2 drives), then add that drive back to the storage pool again.  This would basically move all of your free space to that drive you removed/added.

Actually, I did just that before the error occurred.  I had added both 160 GB drives to start with, and removed one again to free it up for backup, when I discovered duplicated.  I then re-added the drive and started setting folders for duplication (as well as adding more data to the server).
    I haven't gotten around to filling a bug report yet, however what I want to try is this:
    1) remove all duplication (done)
    2) remove one 160 GB disk (in progress)
    3) remove second 160 GB disk

This should be possible as the total data (237 GB) is less than the data partition on the first drive (289 GB AFAIR) - if I remove all backups.

When this is done I want to
    4) re-add the one 160 GB and start duplication again. 

This time around, I 'll start with the largest folders first and work my way down.  I have my data copied elsewhere, so I have a little room for experimenting.

I'll keep you posted...
    Monday, July 27, 2009 5:58 AM
  • Well it fixed the problem for now.  After having removed both disks, I re-added one of them and enabled folder duplication for all the relevant folders.
    I worked without problem.  I've now also added the third drive.
    I haven't enabled backup, yet.  But I hope it doesn't mean I cannot add more files to the duplicated folders.  I'll keep an eye on that.
    For now, the workaround was satisfactory for my.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:38 PM