Iinstalling WHS on Dell Power Edge 840 RRS feed

• Question

• How can I install WHS on Dell Power Edge 840 - it is not a listed system on the Dell Install DVD. I have tried to boot from the WHS server DVD but it does nothing.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 11:59 AM

Answers

• If you have downloaded the Windows Home Server installation package, you have a .iso file, which is a disk image. You can't simply burn that to a disk using the tools built into Windows; you wind up with a single file on a disk, not Windows Home Server installation media. You need to take the .iso file and burn it to a DVD using software which knows how to write a disk image file properly to a disk. Software that can do this includes Nero, Alcohol 120%, and ImgBurn, but really the software that came with the DVD burner you used should be able to do this if configured correctly.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    what does it mean "does nothing"?
    Has the server a DVD drive or is it still a CD drive (which could not boot from a DVD)?
    How much memory? What kind of disks (SATA, IDE, SCSI)?
    Attached to what kind of controller (RAID or no RAID)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:01 PM
  • The server came with a cd drive which I replaced with a dvd drive. It can now read dvds since it can read the DVD provided by Dell. The machine has 2 SATA 250 GB drives, 4 gb ram and no raid.  When I put the installation disk in it is not accessed by the computer like when I put in the Dell DVD.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:11 PM
  • I am sorry I was not clear. When I put the installation disk in and then try to boot the system it goes through and then stops with the statement that there is no operating system installed. In contrast, when I try to boot from the Dell DVD it pops up its intro screen
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Did you see the message which asks for pressing any key to boot from CD (and in this case did the key press)?
    Can you change the SATA controller to IDE compatibility mode? (without doing so you will have to provide the drivers two times during install, one time on a floppy disk).
    Is your WHS DVD functioning (i.e. booting successfully on another computer)?
    Where did it come from - purchased OEM version or burned from other sources (trial, MSDN subscription)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 1:22 PM
  • If you have downloaded the Windows Home Server installation package, you have a .iso file, which is a disk image. You can't simply burn that to a disk using the tools built into Windows; you wind up with a single file on a disk, not Windows Home Server installation media. You need to take the .iso file and burn it to a DVD using software which knows how to write a disk image file properly to a disk. Software that can do this includes Nero, Alcohol 120%, and ImgBurn, but really the software that came with the DVD burner you used should be able to do this if configured correctly.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:05 PM