A pre-installed Windows Professional XP SP2 desktop is asked for the OS CD, to correct an error - where do I find the CD? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - this  is an easy question, coupled with a coincidence featured in today's Technology News, so, let's get rolling and perhaps we can sort this out.

Early today I booted this IBM Lenovo Desktop which I purchased recently and which has Windows XP Professional XP SP2 pre-installed on the hard drive.

Yes - the PC is registered, licensed, validated, and has every Anti-Piracy counter Bootlegging application offered by Microsoft to protect everyone's integrity.  So, I'm KOSHER!

I did some maintenance on this PC - did a Start/Control Panel/Add Remove Software and the Control Panel did not remove what it should have removed, thus, I was lerft with a complete application in Programs, when in fact the application should have been removed.  Now, please follow me, by the numbers:

1.  I found the uninstall application within the Program and uninstalled it - SUCCESS.

2.  SUCCESS was short lived, when I found a query window from the OS asking me to INSERT the WINDOWS PROFESSIONAL OS CD.  Why?  Read on....see number 3.

3.  The query window stated that "files important to the OS were removed" with the uninstall application within the program that I removed, which Control Panel didn't remove.  And, that "these files" were important to the Windows Professional Operating System.

Well, guess what?  I don't have a CD, because when I purchased this IBM Lenovo Desktop, the software was pre-installed and no CD accompanied the desktop upon delivery.

Here's the Coincidence!

Today I read that Microsoft will be entering into an arrangement with Hardware Manufacturers on Mainland China to sell the Microsoft Operating System as a pre-installed package with the hardware.   That's COOL! 

Question:  Will a OS CD be provided to the new buyers on Mainland China?  If yes, then how do I get my CD? My IBM was purchased as NEW with a one year warranty within the past 3 months.  If no, no to the CD, then Why Not?  It seems to me that any pre-installed software for a new computer should have supporting media accompanying the product upon delivery, JUST IN CASE there's an error message, as happened to me today.

Obviously, when purchasing a new computer with pre-installed Windows, and the OS asks for the original OEM CD for whatever reason, the user should have the copy available for maintenance, etc.

Thank you.

PS I've already tried to contact the original manufacturer IBM without success, different issue.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hello Broadway Rose,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic but in an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help.but First IBM/Lenova provides a utility to make a backup of the operating system. This should be done prior using the system. Recovery CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer and model. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do?cm_re=masthead-_-supdl-_-sbp-lenovo

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/CNCT-SUPPRT.html#hp

Questions:

I am not sure if the recovery software will be provided to users in Mainland China. The PC Manfacturer will have to make this decision. The software is OEM and support as well as decision how the recovery software is provided will be their decision. Several PC Manufacturers are placing hidden partions on the systems with instructions provided to customers as how to make their own recovery media. 

Please contact IBM technical support and explain the situation which you are under. You can purchase the media and they will let you know the cost. 

Thank you,

STephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Broadway Rose,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic but in an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help.but First IBM/Lenova provides a utility to make a backup of the operating system. This should be done prior using the system. Recovery CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer and model. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do?cm_re=masthead-_-supdl-_-sbp-lenovo

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/CNCT-SUPPRT.html#hp

Questions:

I am not sure if the recovery software will be provided to users in Mainland China. The PC Manfacturer will have to make this decision. The software is OEM and support as well as decision how the recovery software is provided will be their decision. Several PC Manufacturers are placing hidden partions on the systems with instructions provided to customers as how to make their own recovery media. 

Please contact IBM technical support and explain the situation which you are under. You can purchase the media and they will let you know the cost. 

Thank you,

STephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Thanks Stephen - appreciate your help.  I'll be off to see Big Blue soon, but, while I have you on the phone, the "error message" and "query for the OS CD" - vanished.  As to "Who is the Boss" of a legal, lawful, licensed Operating System, when errors do occur, and there is no evidence of bootleg, or otherwise, i've often wondered why Microsoft  doesn't develop one Behemoth of an Application, let's call it "COP" - and "COP" is in CHARGE of all of the security elements of an Operating System and all of its arteries.

Example follows:

1.  There's my OS Security Center.

2.  There's my Windows Live OneCare subscription.

3.  There's my FREE Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner.

4.  There's a Malicious Software Removal Tool.

5.  There's WGA.

Stephen, maybe there's more, don't know - but, in my corner of the world, I would designate one application, name it, and tell the world - "THIS IS THE BOSS OF OUR OPERATING SYSTEM WHICH YOU ARE LICENSED TO USE."  In other words, a combination of all of the security, anti-piracy, phishing, malicious, etc., are put into one big "BOWL" and named, then advertised, sold, end of story.  I would even take it a step further - I would reach out to the Law Enforcement Community, WORLDWIDE, and seek their endorsements of such a "COP PROGRAM."  Simple - isn't it?

When I began to seek a resolution to the "error query" - of course, I visited Microsoft.com, then took it from there, until the  "Topic" selection.  What or Who was asking me for a OS CD?  Who or What was behind my monitor window, while online, asking me to insert  the installation CD in order to gain access to "files" that may have been deleted with the "uninstall."  You can tell me, if you know, how I would authenticate that the "Query" was legitimate and NOT phishing, or a hack of my computer?  Aren't we advised and cautioned regarding ActiveX, "Know Your Publisher" - yet, Microsoft itself cautions the user to be sure they know the "publisher" even when the ActiveX Publisher is Microsoft.  Think about that for a while.  I'd love to see an entirely different ActiveX window, perhaps one for Microsoft and another for "all the rest."  AND, I'd also love to see more security on the Internet - I've been violated - so, my style has changed - and my confidence has diminished in today's overall Internet Security - there's room for a "something new" package.

This is not criticism Stephen, this is Honesty, a user asking for direction, especially when multiplied by the masses of the world, you know, those others, who just might be on the same page as I am, and the possibility that I am right. 

HOW WOULD I AUTHENTICATE AND MAKE CERTAIN, WITHOUT A DOUBT, THAT SUCH A QUERY FOR AN INSTALLATION OS CD IS ON THE LEVEL? 

You don't have to answer if you don't want to - not necessary - thank you very much, I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Ralph

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 11:56 PM
  • Hello Stephen - hope all is well with you.  Just visited and left the link you provided at LENOVO, and accomplished nothing insofar as ordering a Recovery CD.  To be brief, I was totally lost at their website, including all of the new offers made by LENOVO to me as I tried to simply "order a CD."  However, I did provide them with personal and experienced feedback pertaining to my visit today.  You see, I've been at this for over 20 years, so, I've got loads of experience, although I cannot write CODE.  So that's it - I accomplished nothing, even spoike to their sales department "Laura" in Arizona, and she too was LOST.  She didn't know what I was talking about, but she was SWEET.

Then, a lightbulb went off in my mind and this is what I thought about, and also concluded.

1.  An operating system is pre-installed onto a hard drive, and the hard drive is installed into the box, and integrated with the Motherboard, Memory, and other components, thus forming a computer, ready to BOOT.

2.  IF the OS was installed with the INTENT of being a PREINSTALLED OPERATINGI SYSTEM, then, the CODE should have been written NOT TO ASK FOR THE INSTALLATION CD.  This means that in a pre-installed environment, the operating system should "QUERY" a partition or backup CD in RESTORE where the "missing files" would be found.

3.  If accountants knew how to write CODE, then, this experience would have never happened.  You see, accountants are more precise than programmers - no argument please - you'll lose if we get into a debate about this matter.  The pre-installed Operating System should have instructions embedded so that whenever it has to query "missing files" the window that I saw on Wednesday would NEVER HAVE APPEARED.  Heard of Sperry Rand, Univac, well those guys and gals lost every argument with the Accounting Department whenever "THINGS HAPPENED" that should NOT have happened.

Conclusion:  If there is a backup CD on this desktop, buried in RESTORE, and the installed operating system doesn't know about it, then, how's about a SWEET Microsoft Update...........telling the operating system NEVER TO ASK AGAIN for the Installation CD.

Other than that - have a great weekend, remember Veterans Day - and me too, I'm a Korean War Vet, and thanks very much for your help. 

PS If this incident ever happens again, I"ll just toss the Operating System, buy a new OEM MS OS, format the hard drive, end of story.  Take Care and BE WELL!

Friday, November 9, 2007 8:57 PM