CRM 2013 On Prem SSRS installation Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All;

I have a question around how to install SSRS for CRM 2013. Currently I'm planning on having a separate SSRS server from our SQL server. Is it the best practice to have a separate SQL installation on the SSRS server that's only SSRS or should it be installed using the CRM SQL Server that the MS_Config is installed on?

I can't find a solid answer if using the already configured SQL server that MS_CONFIG and the org's sit on is best.

Thank you very much!

Jason Cosman

Monday, March 17, 2014 5:29 PM

Answers

• It's a balance of cost and complexity versus performance. A separate SSRS server may give you some performance gain over using the SQL server the databases are on.If your reporting needs are not complex or frequent, or user numbers are small, then running them on a single server to reduce cost and complexity may be a pragmatic way to go.

In particular, if you have a SQL 2012 cluster using "Always On" then you can run the SSRS reports against the passive failover server (CRM will only use one server, in an Active/Passive approach) for maximum benefit.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    UK CRM Guru Blog

Monday, March 17, 2014 7:28 PM