none
New server bits - AHCI? RRS feed

• Question

• Over the weekend I had delivered a laod of new servers bits - motherboard, processor, memory and the OEM version of WHS.

I've got it all installed and it seems to be working much better. my 500 GB (I lost some DVD's to fit all the data on the backup) balanced and duplicated over night and this morning the server was sat there with no disc activity as it should be. My last install had high disc activity ALL the time literally.

One thing that I was not sure abotu was AHCI. I tried to turn it on as I thought I'd get better performance out of the discs (although now I suspect it might just help with hot swapping ect). I have 2 SATA controller on the MB. 2 of the discs are on the Gigabyte controller and appear in WHS as Internal (SCSI). I assume this contraller had AHCI turned on.

The other controller is an intel ICH8 controller and When I turn AHCI on in the Bios for it I can't get any drivers to make it work in windows. I suspect that there might be somethign up with the board. Anyway. If AHCI is turned off it works fine but the drives appear as Internal (IDE) in WHS console.
    Does this mean that they are running slower than they should? Do I need to wrry about it?

I did some tests and the drives are quicker than Internal (scsi) drives on a PCI Sata card so they're obviously not that slow.

I think I'll leave it the way it is as it seems to be running pretty well though. I do get the feelign that I'm not getting all the performance out my hardware that I've paid for though.

Thanks

GIles
    Monday, October 15, 2007 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would leave it off, in general it's used for Native Command Queuing and Hot Swop support. As for speed, your Hard Drives are already of a sufficient speed to saturate your network link and there is no real need for any faster operation. Maybe on a desktop it would be an advantage, but if your system is stable and your happy with it, I wouldn't bother.

Colin

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:51 PM