Protecting Windows Home Server for Internet RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 PC's and 1 Windows Home Server (HP Smart Server). Bought in de US en send to the Netherlands. Here you still can nit buy it. On my PC's I have Norton Internet Security 2009. HP  US and HP NL can help me with the question what I have to buy and install on the server to protect it from the Internet. Also Symantec US and Symantec NL can not help me. Symantec Endpoint was maybe a option but it will not install because of not having enough internal memory.

Is it necassary to protect the server ? I think the answer is yes. Can anyone tell me what the right software is to buy and to install ?

Kind regards,
    Frank
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Frank,
    besides a Virus Scanner which is aware of the special functions of Windows Home Server there are only some common things you should do:
    • regulary patch your server with the latest updates for Windows and Windows Home Server
    • keep the router firmware up to date
    • set a strong router password (instead of leaving it at default setting for that model)
    • set strong passwords for users with Remote Access
    • do not share the console password with your kids (since it is the Administrator password for the machine)
    • leave the Windows Firewall on WHS as much at default settings as possible
    • do not install stuff from untrusted sources on your server

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Frank Terwijn said:

I have 3 PC's and 1 Windows Home Server (HP Smart Server). Bought in de US en send to the Netherlands. Here you still can nit buy it. On my PC's I have Norton Internet Security 2009. HP  US and HP NL can help me with the question what I have to buy and install on the server to protect it from the Internet. Also Symantec US and Symantec NL can not help me. Symantec Endpoint was maybe a option but it will not install because of not having enough internal memory.

Is it necassary to protect the server ? I think the answer is yes. Can anyone tell me what the right software is to buy and to install ?

Kind regards,
    Frank

I would strongly recommend installing an A/V that is WHS compatible.  The one I use on my server is avast!
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:23 PM

All replies

• Frank Terwijn said:

I have 3 PC's and 1 Windows Home Server (HP Smart Server). Bought in de US en send to the Netherlands. Here you still can nit buy it. On my PC's I have Norton Internet Security 2009. HP  US and HP NL can help me with the question what I have to buy and install on the server to protect it from the Internet. Also Symantec US and Symantec NL can not help me. Symantec Endpoint was maybe a option but it will not install because of not having enough internal memory.

Kind regards,
    Frank

I would strongly recommend installing an A/V that is WHS compatible.  The one I use on my server is avast!
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Hi Frank,
    besides a Virus Scanner which is aware of the special functions of Windows Home Server there are only some common things you should do:
    • regulary patch your server with the latest updates for Windows and Windows Home Server
    • keep the router firmware up to date
    • set a strong router password (instead of leaving it at default setting for that model)
    • set strong passwords for users with Remote Access
    • do not share the console password with your kids (since it is the Administrator password for the machine)
    • leave the Windows Firewall on WHS as much at default settings as possible
    • do not install stuff from untrusted sources on your server

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Thanks, it works. I had alot troubel because a new network was place in the neighberhood but now i'm connected again. Thanks again for the right answer.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:21 PM