Can't Find Recent Back Up File - Keep Getting The Generic "Sample" RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Money Plus Sunset to replace Money Plus.  I was able to restore data from Money Plus to Money Plus Sunset and use it fo a few days.  I was having to open it by clicking on "Sample" in the MS Money Plus Sunset menu.  I just shut it down after clicking on "back up" vs. "postpone".  When I went to open "Sample" again it was the actual sample and I can not find where the actual system with my data is now.  It keeps bringing up sample even though I look to where I think it;s supposed to be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\070111 MS$ Backup_2011-07-01_170809.mbf    Is anyone able and willing to help with this?

Thanks much in advance!

Styly
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:10 AM

All replies

• It is important that you don't put your *.mny or *.mbf files within the ProgramFiles folder. Otherwise, confusing things can happen.  It is clear that that is your problem.

Be sure that your Money and backup files are moved to a spot that
    you will have full privileges to, such as Documents/MyDocuments.
    If they are in a place like ProgramFiles, Vista will create an
    impermanent copy of the file for the user to use, unless the user
    explicitly right-clicks at launch and choose RunAsAdministrator
    that time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387 talks about the "Virtual Store".

The following command may show you where your files are:

dir %USERPROFILE%"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus"

If you cannot find a file you need, I can offer some search suggestions. Otherwise, just move your *.mny and *.mbf files to your Documents folder, and things will work the way you expect.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 2:47 AM