Selling Windows XP Pro Retail Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• We are getting ready to sell my wife's laptop, and here is the scenario:

It came preinstalled with XP Home, OEM. I realize this is married to the laptop, however: I purchased a retail upgrade to XP Pro from Staples and it is now installed on the laptop. 

Can I format the laptops drive and reinstall the original OEM XP Home it came with, then sell the laptop (with OEM disks, etc) and separately sell the XP Pro Retail Upgrade.

Secondly, if I can sell the XP Pro Retail Upgrage separately if it is no longer installed on the laptop, how do I go about making sure the buyer has no trouble installing it, validating it, etc.

Thanks!
    Doug

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Douglas Neiner,

This question should be answerable by reading your Microsoft EULA. Information on the EULAs and other legal questions may be found at http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/default.mspx.

The moderators of this forum don't have the legal authority to read into or interpret the MS EULAs.

Thank you,

Jenifer

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Douglas Neiner,

This question should be answerable by reading your Microsoft EULA. Information on the EULAs and other legal questions may be found at http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/default.mspx.

The moderators of this forum don't have the legal authority to read into or interpret the MS EULAs.

Thank you,

Jenifer

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Douglas Neiner,

Your plan is sound.

Most laptops are name-brand and most name-brand computers come with some sort of recovery CD/DVD or hidden recovery partition on the hard disk.  Assuming that's your situation, this should be what you will use to cleanly install via a destructive recovery of the original XP Home back onto the laptop.

Since your XP Pro Upgrade is a retail license sold in a nice pretty box, once it is removed (by the process of doing a destructive recovery on the laptop) from the laptop it is now "freed-up" to be installed on another XP installation, or sold by you to someone else so that they can install it.  The EULA does have a passage that tells you what you are required to give to the person to whom you sell it.

There is no Microsoft process that "de-activates" a given Product Key so that it is "freed-up" to be installed on a subsequent computer.  The normal activation procedure has enough flexibility built in so that the Buyer of your XP Pro Upgrade will not have a problem installing or activating it.

It's a great idea to do a destructive recovery on a computer that you plan to sell, so that the chances of your personal information, which has accumulated on the computer over the course of time, being exposed to the next owner are greatly reduced.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:03 PM