USB2 only works as USB1 RRS feed

• Question

• My P4P800 Deluxe MB has USB2 ports but they are only working as USB1. When I try and reinstall from disk am told cannot as Windows Service Pack XP2 has the correct driver. I have reinstalled XPSP2 but to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:08 PM

All replies

• Maybe there is a driver for your USB, that happend to my laptop the first time a format it, the USB gonne from USB2 to USB1 till i got the drivers from Dell.
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Check the usb section in Device Manager to see if you have an Enhanced USB2 controller the the device tree.  If not then try checking the BIOS to see if USB2.0 has been disabled and perhaps flashing an updated BIOS or if it's current reflash it and then check.

XP SP2 and further OS's support USB 2.0 by default so I don't think it will be OS related.
    Friday, April 4, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Thank you Ariel but I have updated drivers and no result.

Saturday, April 5, 2008 9:56 AM
  • Thank you Gav. I have an enhanced USB controller and it is working correctly it reports. I checked the BIOS and USB2 ports are enabled.

Not being an expert I am loathe to flash the BIOS. It is rather like altering the REGISTRY which I do reluctantly, but It is backed up. If I mess up the BIOS I am not sure how to recover.

Most of my USB appliances are recognised and working happily. Since I only have trouble with two memory drives which are not recognised on this machine I am inclined to leave well alone!!

Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:26 AM