Question Regarding possible training courses to take. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, I have a question regarding some training classes to take.

First let me start by saying I am only planning on getting my MCSA and than continue to MCTIP and not try for the MCSE.

Through my job we go to training courses once a year and last year I got stuck with GroupWise :| 
    This year I will be able to go to a Microsoft course, and I was planning on going to one that would help me pass the 70-291 exam, I was thinking of this one:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/syllabi/2277cfinal.mspx

But the same training center is offering a course that is a combination  of the 2277 course and 2278 course:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/syllabi/2278bfinal.mspx

Both classes are a five day course. I do not have a very strong networking background but plan on studying up before the course. I was wondering if it would be worth it even though I don't not plan on taking the 70-293 exam to take the combination 2277/2278 course, just to get a better understanding of everything. I would still be taking the 70-291 exam a week or two after the course though.

Thank you

Eric
    Eric
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:02 PM

Answers

• Well 70-291 and 70-923 are both Infrastructure exams. 291/2277 comes at things from the administrators POV so its taking care of whats already built (2277 does a good job at this - I like teaching both of those courses), while 293/2278 comes at you from the Engineer's POV and nothing is built for you to take care of and maintain so you are building the Infrastructure that an admin will maintain.  Thats why training centers often teach both back to back as a combo since they are similar courses in the sense they both cover the same basic tools, just from differing job perspectives.

Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:47 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Well 70-291 and 70-923 are both Infrastructure exams. 291/2277 comes at things from the administrators POV so its taking care of whats already built (2277 does a good job at this - I like teaching both of those courses), while 293/2278 comes at you from the Engineer's POV and nothing is built for you to take care of and maintain so you are building the Infrastructure that an admin will maintain.  Thats why training centers often teach both back to back as a combo since they are similar courses in the sense they both cover the same basic tools, just from differing job perspectives.

Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you Rev, I believe I will try take the combo course as they build on each other and would give be a better understanding of things.

Thanks again

Eric
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:51 PM