CRM 4.0 - MMC snap-in not responding RRS feed

• Question

• I am relatively new to CRM.

I am have restored a copy of the live crm database onto a dev crm server. When i am trying to import the organisation, the MMC Snap-in is giving me the below error.

"The snap-in is not responding".

This is obviously stopping me from continuing the import.

Have been researching the error but cannot find anything relevant. Could anyone shed some light on this please?

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Robert.  Not much to go on in your post, but I've experienced issues like this as well.

The MMC error is more likely a symtom of the real problem.

Did you get a stack trace error like this:

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInMessagePumpProxy.OnThreadException(Object sender, ThreadExceptionEventArgs e)

I would do a trace during the attempted import.  In the past I was able to get valuble data from the trace, although It took a while to be figured out.   In one case, there had been changes made to the database directly.

Curtis J Spanburgh

• Marked as answer by Robert Cassar Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

This is a common issue if you have a lot of domain controllers or an issue with DNS, on your network. the way to have deployment manager to load quicker is to set the preferredDC

on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM add the following key:

Name: PreferredDC
    type: String
    Value: your_domain_controller_name (try using a global catalog)

then open again deployment manager you should see an improvement

Regards
    Nuno

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

• Edited by nrodriEditor Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert.  Not much to go on in your post, but I've experienced issues like this as well.

The MMC error is more likely a symtom of the real problem.

Did you get a stack trace error like this:

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInMessagePumpProxy.OnThreadException(Object sender, ThreadExceptionEventArgs e)

I would do a trace during the attempted import.  In the past I was able to get valuble data from the trace, although It took a while to be figured out.   In one case, there had been changes made to the database directly.

Curtis J Spanburgh

• Marked as answer by Robert Cassar Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Thanks. Seemed to have worked.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Hi Robert,

What was the problem?

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:53 AM
    Answerer
  • To be very honest, I am not so sure.

I simply tried the registry key updates (OptimizeOrgImport, TraceEnabled and TraceRefresh), restarted the server and tried again with auto user mapping option selected.

The process was much faster and worked successfully.

Even though I am now encountering other problems with this installation of CRM. but that will be posted on another thread.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:01 AM
  • okay, probably the OptimizeOrgImport has helped.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:04 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes i guess so.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:51 AM
  • Upgrades are one of the best ways to find the mistakes from the past.

Familiarize yourself with the road that CRM 2011 needs to run on and you will be able to troubleshoot a good deal of the problems.

Let us know what happens next.

/:>

Curtis J Spanburgh

Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:38 PM