Maximum number of shared folders you can be invited to join? RRS feed

• Question

• How many shared mesh folders can a single account be invited to join?

In other words, if I have 20 clients each create their own Live Mesh and then each shares a folder with me, will I have full access to all 20 of those? What's the limit?

I'm worried about two limits -- how many folders Live Mesh allows you to be invited to share, and will the 10 network connection limit on workstation versions of Windows limit you in any way? It's not clear to me what inbound and outbound network connections the Live Mesh client makes.

Thanks!
    SBussinger
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi!

Awesome questions - here's my understanding.

If you are syncing a folder P2P then your machine will connect out to all other machines on your mesh that are syncing that folder and upload the files to them (so the connection is inwards only to the machine that is receiving the files, the sender will always initiate outgoing sessions).

When the Live Desktop comes into play then it become similar to remote desktop. Files are uploaded to the Live Desktop and each meshed machine will grab the files from there (so no incoming connections at all, rather each machine downloads from the Live Desktop). There is an exception to that rule - if the initial machine can directly communicate with other meshed devices (say, they are on the same local network) then the data will be transferred directly, skipping the Live Desktop).

So, no, you shouldn't have any firewall problems, either way.

Hope that helps,

Oren
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

We have an old blog post with various numbers you might find interesting (e.g., members per Live Mesh folder, Live Mesh folders per user, etc.).

Ben.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:14 PM

All replies

• I don't know what the folder number limit is, but I am sure that there is no relationship to network connections since only 1 connection is needed for the Live Mesh client to the Live Desktop. If it is making connections to peers on the same network segment inside a LAN, it will manage the traffic based on whatever limitation the network connection (and the OS) might have.

I'll leave the thread unanswered until we can get a number for the folder limit, but I don't think it matters if those are your folders or folders shared with you - assuming that there is a limit.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 20, 2009 8:19 PM
  • I wasn't sure how syncing to devices was handled. For instance if you have 10 device in your mesh and copy a file to a mesh folder, does the file get uploaded to the Live Desktop and then all 10 machines download it from there or does the initiating client create some sort of route to each of the other 9 devices and transfer it directly or some combination? It's an interesting problem given the asymmetric nature of most broadband connections (not to mention the firewall issues).  I was concerned that if I was sharing files with 50 other meshes that file transfers would be difficult if each mesh wanted to connect to me directly.

Thanks Stephen!

SBussinger
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Hi!

Awesome questions - here's my understanding.

If you are syncing a folder P2P then your machine will connect out to all other machines on your mesh that are syncing that folder and upload the files to them (so the connection is inwards only to the machine that is receiving the files, the sender will always initiate outgoing sessions).

When the Live Desktop comes into play then it become similar to remote desktop. Files are uploaded to the Live Desktop and each meshed machine will grab the files from there (so no incoming connections at all, rather each machine downloads from the Live Desktop). There is an exception to that rule - if the initial machine can directly communicate with other meshed devices (say, they are on the same local network) then the data will be transferred directly, skipping the Live Desktop).

So, no, you shouldn't have any firewall problems, either way.

Hope that helps,

Oren
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

We have an old blog post with various numbers you might find interesting (e.g., members per Live Mesh folder, Live Mesh folders per user, etc.).

Ben.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:14 PM