Why is the Media Center Server not part of the platform? RRS feed

• Question

• I have the HP EX490 system and it is great for backups and serving media over the internet, but I fail to understand why I should need a second computer to serve content to a Media Center Extender like the XBOX 360. It's really irritating and completely odd that a Media Server would not serve to a Media Center Extender. Anyone know why this obvious oversight exists?
    Friday, November 6, 2009 10:10 PM

All replies

• The WHS will serve content to an Xbox360. Have you turned on the option in the WHS console media sharing tab?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/sp1g.html
    Friday, November 6, 2009 10:39 PM
  • I have the HP EX490 system and it is great for backups and serving media over the internet, but I fail to understand why I should need a second computer to serve content to a Media Center Extender like the XBOX 360. It's really irritating and completely odd that a Media Server would not serve to a Media Center Extender. Anyone know why this obvious oversight exists?

The reason is simple:  WHS is not a Media Center PC (which is required in order for you to "extend" MC to an extender).  As Craig said, you can stream content to your 360, just not through the MCE app built into the 360.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Rumor has it the the next version of WHS lat next year may include this functionality - an included version or Windows media Center - but thats just a rumor
    WHS_retail version
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:38 PM