Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 Validation Failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have the MAPS US version of Office 2007 Enterprise installed and I can not download the XPS/PDF add-in as it claims files have been tampered with yet I go through the validate and it claims everything is good and I can. I would like to get this fixed so I can download the add-ins that I like. I have a screenshot of the report if someone needs it to find out what is wrong.

Thank You

Monday, February 5, 2007 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi RetiredSquid,

Can you go to our diagnostic web site:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ 

1) Click START DIAGNOSTICS button.
    2) Once the diagnostics is completed and successful, please click the OFFICE VALIDATION button.

Did you see 'VALIDATION SUCCESSFUL' in the yellow bar on the web page?  Or did you receive an error?  If validation was successful, please attempt to download the XPS/PDF add-in.

Let us know how this works for you!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Monday, February 5, 2007 11:48 PM
  • Hello Gene,

Wow.  This issue is stumping us right now, but we are trying to figure out what is going on.  We think it may be something to do with how Windows Vista handles file permissions, but we have not confirmed that yet by reproducing the scenario you and a few others appear to be in.

Can you try this?  Open OUTLOOK and follow these steps:

1. Start Outlook.
    2. On the Help menu, click Office Diagnostics.
    3. Click Continue.
    4. Click Run Diagnostics.
    5. If a problem is identified, Office Diagnostics may offer to run the repair process.

Did the repair process find anything?  Can you try to obtain 'save as PDF' add-in now? 

Thanks,
    Michelle

P.S.  I've got our main developer looking into this as well and we'll likely have another suggestion hopefully today (or tomorrow).  Hang tight, we'll help get this figured out.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 7:42 PM
  •  RetiredSquid wrote:

I just went to the site and did as it instructed and it found no problems or errors in system, so I went to try and download the 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS and it came up with the same error after trying to validate office.

Hi Gene,

OK, our developer would like you to verify something for us.  I will outline the steps we would like you to take (if you do not feel technically confident in doing this, that's OK...just let me know).

1) Click the Windows Vista START button.

2) In the START SEARCH box, type NOTEPAD (case does not matter) and press the ENTER key on the keyboard.

3) The notepad application will start.  Type some random text and click FILE, SAVE AS.  Choose a file name (just call it TEST) and save it to your desktop or another location that you will remember.

4) Once the file has been saved successfully, CLOSE the application.

5) Click on the Windows Vista START button again.

6) In the START SEARCH box, type the following:  C:\Users\RetiredSquid\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\ProgramData\Office Genuine Advantage\data   - When you see this folder structure show up in the list above the START SEARCH box, you can click on it.  That will open a Windows Explorer window.  Keep this window open.   (NOTE:  Where the name highlighted in yellow is in the directory path, replace it with your Windows Vista user account name).

7) Please find the TEST.txt file you saved to your desktop (or other location of your choice).  Drag this file over to the open explorer window.

Did it let you save the file there?  Or did you get an error?

Please let us know!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Hi Gene,

Oh my goodness no!!!  Don't re-install Windows Vista.  Hang tight and let me speak to my dev team again.  In the meantime, can you try this?

1) http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en - Validate Windows Vista

2) http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en - Re-validate Office 2007

Were both validations successful?  Or did the Office validation still fail? 

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:28 PM
  •  RetiredSquid wrote:

Don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but in Internet Explorer 7 I can no longer save a page or download a file to hard drive anymore either, all it states is can not save to designated location with an ok button. Haven't added any software to system since problem started.

Hello Gene,

Hmmm....well, this may be a little more than a validation issue (leaning toward some of the built-in safety controls within Vista).  Let's try one last thing before I suggest we open a PSS (product support) service request.

WINDOWS VISTA:

1) Click the START button.

2) Click ALL PROGRAMS.

3) Look at the list of your installed programs and find INTERNET EXPLORER.

4) Point the mouse cursor over top of INTERNET EXPLORER until it is highlighted and click the RIGHT-MOUSE button and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR from the menu.

5) You will be prompted by a Windows Vista dialog box, and I want you to choose ALLOW.  This will allow IE to start with administrator priv's.

6) In the new Internet Explorer session, manually type or copy this URL:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine (again, make sure it's the new instance of IE that opened as 'admin').

7) Once the /genuine web site loads in the new IE browswer.  Click the VALIDATE OFFICE button.

What happened?  Are the results different?

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, February 9, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Hi Gene,

Well, this has something to do with how Vista works (in terms of 'trusting' a program to run).  Right now, I do not have any fix for this other than the steps I provided that worked...meaning, manually open up IE and 'run as administrator'.

Now that validation is complete, if you go to download center and try to download something that requires genuine validation, does it work?  Or are you forced to follow the steps I provided?  I think it should work since our validation control should still have read only access to the license.

Let me know.  I've also got our dev team seeing if there is anyway we can workaround this for the future.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:39 AM

All replies

• Hi RetiredSquid,

Can you go to our diagnostic web site:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ 

1) Click START DIAGNOSTICS button.
    2) Once the diagnostics is completed and successful, please click the OFFICE VALIDATION button.

Did you see 'VALIDATION SUCCESSFUL' in the yellow bar on the web page?  Or did you receive an error?  If validation was successful, please attempt to download the XPS/PDF add-in.

Let us know how this works for you!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Monday, February 5, 2007 11:48 PM
  • Went to the website and went through the validation and received the same error

Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007:
    Validation Incomplete

The validation process could not be completed. Necessary files may have been tampered with. The validation tool is unable to verify whether your copy of Office is genuine.

[0x80180112]

Maybe what I should do is try the repair feature of the add/remove software in control panel and see if that fixes the error as something apparently happened to some file it is looking for. If you think tha would help let me know and I will try it and see if it gets fixed.

RetiredSquid

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 4:59 PM
  • How to use the repair process in the 2007 Office programs: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924614/en-us
    Tuesday, February 6, 2007 7:00 PM
  • I just went to the site and did as it instructed and it found no problems or errors in system, so I went to try and download the 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS and it came up with the same error after trying to validate office.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 8:03 PM
  • Hello Gene,

Wow.  This issue is stumping us right now, but we are trying to figure out what is going on.  We think it may be something to do with how Windows Vista handles file permissions, but we have not confirmed that yet by reproducing the scenario you and a few others appear to be in.

Can you try this?  Open OUTLOOK and follow these steps:

1. Start Outlook.
    2. On the Help menu, click Office Diagnostics.
    3. Click Continue.
    4. Click Run Diagnostics.
    5. If a problem is identified, Office Diagnostics may offer to run the repair process.

Did the repair process find anything?  Can you try to obtain 'save as PDF' add-in now? 

Thanks,
    Michelle

P.S.  I've got our main developer looking into this as well and we'll likely have another suggestion hopefully today (or tomorrow).  Hang tight, we'll help get this figured out.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 7:42 PM
  • If you like to know:  I posted a simmilar case.  Thought it was the combination of Office 2003/2007, but it wasn't.  I got the same respons as Gene does while trying to download pdf add-in. I have Vista Ultimate and Office Home and Student.  MGADiag doesn't find any solution but tells that everything is genuin and that Validation Control is not installed.  Diagnostics says nothing.... My wife has just installed the same version but with XP SP2. Validates as it should.  Must be Vista making the problem.....

Paul

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:55 PM
  •  RetiredSquid wrote:

I just went to the site and did as it instructed and it found no problems or errors in system, so I went to try and download the 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS and it came up with the same error after trying to validate office.

Hi Gene,

OK, our developer would like you to verify something for us.  I will outline the steps we would like you to take (if you do not feel technically confident in doing this, that's OK...just let me know).

1) Click the Windows Vista START button.

2) In the START SEARCH box, type NOTEPAD (case does not matter) and press the ENTER key on the keyboard.

3) The notepad application will start.  Type some random text and click FILE, SAVE AS.  Choose a file name (just call it TEST) and save it to your desktop or another location that you will remember.

4) Once the file has been saved successfully, CLOSE the application.

5) Click on the Windows Vista START button again.

6) In the START SEARCH box, type the following:  C:\Users\RetiredSquid\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\ProgramData\Office Genuine Advantage\data   - When you see this folder structure show up in the list above the START SEARCH box, you can click on it.  That will open a Windows Explorer window.  Keep this window open.   (NOTE:  Where the name highlighted in yellow is in the directory path, replace it with your Windows Vista user account name).

7) Please find the TEST.txt file you saved to your desktop (or other location of your choice).  Drag this file over to the open explorer window.

Did it let you save the file there?  Or did you get an error?

Please let us know!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Good evening,

same problem here. I installed Vista Ultimate & Office Ultimate tonight (from my MSDN Subscription).
    Tried to download the Office extensions.

I get the error - fresh installation - nothing special on the system.

Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007:
    Validation Incomplete

The validation process could not be completed. Necessary files may have been tampered with. The validation tool is unable to verify whether your copy of Office is genuine.

[0x80180112]

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 11:13 PM
  • You said :

C:\Users\RetiredSquid\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\..........

but in my system: There isn't any Temporary Internet Files folder at that location...... so the link is "dead".

Paul

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 11:21 PM
  • Hey

Think I've got it:
    All thre of us might miss an activ-x control.  I went here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en and started the downloadprosess with validation.  I was asked to install activ-x as allways, so I did and then I went back here http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.......... (havn't the exact ..) and Voila: Everything is OK.

Paul

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 11:41 PM
  • Hello, sorry late getting back but haven't been on computer until now, I started to do as requested but when I go into search from the left side of start where the search is then type in notepad it comes up with a lot emails and will not start notepad but I can start notepad form the regular start button and then the notepad in the listing there? Could this mean something else is wrong? If you want me to continue I can.

Gene

Thursday, February 8, 2007 1:38 AM
  • Run the diagnostics again and it just stated to click the download a file to help fix problems, that option was already checked.

Gene

Thursday, February 8, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Tried to do this but in the search box when I typed notepad and pressed enter it did nothing, in the list below is listed a lot of emails only and no programs, could this be part of the problem? Do I need to reinstall Vista and everything?

Gene

Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:05 AM
  • According to everything I have read but have not check on Vista yet but Vista has Directx 10 not directx 9.0c
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Why not try this, solved my problem (wrote it in the forum some hours ago):

Hey

Think I've got it:
    All thre of us might miss an activ-x control.  I went here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en and started the downloadprosess with validation.  I was asked to install activ-x as allways, so I did and then I went back here http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.......... (havn't the exact ..) and Voila: Everything is OK.

Paul

Thursday, February 8, 2007 7:41 AM
  • Hi Gene,

Oh my goodness no!!!  Don't re-install Windows Vista.  Hang tight and let me speak to my dev team again.  In the meantime, can you try this?

1) http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en - Validate Windows Vista

2) http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en - Re-validate Office 2007

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:28 PM
  •  Michelle Holtmann MSFT wrote:

Passed stated can now use programs available to genuine windows users

same error

Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007:
    Validation Incomplete

[0x80180112]

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:47 PM
  • Don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but in Internet Explorer 7 I can no longer save a page or download a file to hard drive anymore either, all it states is can not save to designated location with an ok button. Haven't added any software to system since problem started.

Friday, February 9, 2007 8:48 PM
  •  RetiredSquid wrote:

Don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but in Internet Explorer 7 I can no longer save a page or download a file to hard drive anymore either, all it states is can not save to designated location with an ok button. Haven't added any software to system since problem started.

Hello Gene,

Hmmm....well, this may be a little more than a validation issue (leaning toward some of the built-in safety controls within Vista).  Let's try one last thing before I suggest we open a PSS (product support) service request.

WINDOWS VISTA:

1) Click the START button.

2) Click ALL PROGRAMS.

3) Look at the list of your installed programs and find INTERNET EXPLORER.

4) Point the mouse cursor over top of INTERNET EXPLORER until it is highlighted and click the RIGHT-MOUSE button and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR from the menu.

5) You will be prompted by a Windows Vista dialog box, and I want you to choose ALLOW.  This will allow IE to start with administrator priv's.

6) In the new Internet Explorer session, manually type or copy this URL:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine (again, make sure it's the new instance of IE that opened as 'admin').

7) Once the /genuine web site loads in the new IE browswer.  Click the VALIDATE OFFICE button.

What happened?  Are the results different?

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, February 9, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Hello, that solved it, it worked, I got validated and downloaded the add-in. Now what caused this and how do I fix it so it works the way it used to when I first started? I really appreciate all the help you have given me.

Thank You

Gene

Saturday, February 10, 2007 4:32 PM
  • Hi Gene,

Well, this has something to do with how Vista works (in terms of 'trusting' a program to run).  Right now, I do not have any fix for this other than the steps I provided that worked...meaning, manually open up IE and 'run as administrator'.

Now that validation is complete, if you go to download center and try to download something that requires genuine validation, does it work?  Or are you forced to follow the steps I provided?  I think it should work since our validation control should still have read only access to the license.

Let me know.  I've also got our dev team seeing if there is anyway we can workaround this for the future.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:39 AM
  • Hello, yes it seems I have to right click and run as administrator if I want to be able to download anything at all. When I first install Vista and Office 2007 it did not work that way, I would go to the website and click on a link to download and the User Account Control would ask for permission and then if it was something I clicked on I would click on the allow and it would download, the problem all started after I went to download the add-in for Office 2007, maybe it was something in one of the updates when it did the automatic download and install of the security and other updates. I can use firefox 2.0 and not have this problem but I want Internet Explorer to work as I use it a lot more, any help or assistance or if you know someone else I need to talk to about this I would really appreciate it.

Thank You

Gene

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:59 PM
  • I have the same situation. Vista Ultimate, Office Enterprise (from MS Action Pack).

I tried the IE trick but still cannot DL add-ins.

"A problem has been encountered during the Microsoft Genuine Advantage validation process. Due to technical difficulties, we are unable to determine whether your operating system is genuine at this time. Please return later to complete the validation process.

[0x80080100] "

Suggestions?

Monday, February 26, 2007 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

have the same error code when checking a Office 2007 prof. plus  with multilicense agreement code.   On new installed pc  genuine check is ok, and working. On my pc not. I have installed previously  the TechnetPlus RTM version, and then installed the Prof. Plus from Volume site download.  Uninstalled and re-installed but have the same error .

In the Search Box when trying the search that you aked for,  I see: c:\programData\Office Genuine ad....   I click on it and receive the following error:

Impossible to fin the file:  c:\users\polettim\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary   Verify that the file name i

s correct and retry  (my translation from italian version....).

Monday, March 5, 2007 2:11 PM
  • My problem is similar but takes a slightly different approach:

1. The "deeper" validation tools tell me I didn't activate my Office Enterprise (from Action Pack as well).
    2. When I try to activate it, it tells me I'm already activated.
    3. So basically, these two words of warning contradict each other!

Any suggestions on this one? Frustrating when you just want to go get a template...and can't...because it thinks you're a pirate...but you're not, as you stare at the brand-new DVD package you just got with Action Pack.

Buck
    Monday, March 5, 2007 2:25 PM
  •  

Hi,

also tried with right click on the IExplorer, and the validation was successful.   Also download of the application worked....   Vista problems

Monday, March 5, 2007 2:26 PM