Is it possible to add Forum pages into XRM customer portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am able to add a custom page (simple) in to XRM customer portal. However, I am not sure if we can be able to create a simple Forum page similar to Adx portal in Dynamics XRM customer or partner portal. Any idea will be very helpful. Thank you  
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:10 PM

All replies

• Does anyone have an idea? 
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:41 PM
  • The Adxstudio portals are based on the same portal framework, so yes you can create a forum page like Adxstudio does.  You will need custom entities, plugins, a forum data model, plus custom aspx and adding a rich text editor.  That said, you will save some time and money just purchasing their product as building a fully functioning forum is a daunting task, plus you have to support the code for all future releases.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:18 AM
  • Hi Shan, thanks a lot for your feedback.  I created new forum, forum threads in our CRM 2011 online org. However, the portal display the following - page doesn't display the forum or category for me to see the forums, join or search. Am I missing anything. 

Forums

Our discussion forums are a great way to find answers to common questions and connect with other widget users like yourself. Browse our posts, join a thread, or start a new topic of your choosing. Start by selecting a forum category below.

Monday, January 30, 2012 12:05 AM
  • Is there any guide that discuss how to create and maintain forums from CRM admin as well portal users perspective. Thank you  
    Monday, January 30, 2012 12:07 AM
  • Also, I am facing some errors - 

Server Error in '/' Application.

The extension method expected an entity object of the type adx_webfile or adx_webpage or adx_contentsnippet or adx_pagetemplate or adx_sitemarker or adx_weblinkset or adx_weblink but was passed an entity object of the type adx_communityforum instead.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: The extension method expected an entity object of the type adx_webfile or adx_webpage or adx_contentsnippet or adx_pagetemplate or adx_sitemarker or adx_weblinkset or adx_weblink but was passed an entity object of the type adx_communityforum instead.

Source Error:

Line 26: 			ForumsListView.DataSource = ServiceContext.GetPublishedForums(Website);
    Line 27: 
    Line 28: 			ForumsListView.DataBind();
    Line 29:                       
    Line 30: 		}

Source File: C:\Seepath\CELEX NETWORKS\Customer Portal\CustomerPortal - CelestixNetworks updated\Web\Pages\Forums.aspx.cs Line: 28

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: The extension method expected an entity object of the type adx_webfile or adx_webpage or adx_contentsnippet or adx_pagetemplate or adx_sitemarker or adx_weblinkset or adx_weblink but was passed an entity object of the type adx_communityforum instead.]
       Microsoft.Xrm.Client.EntityExtensions.AssertEntityName(Entity entity, String[] expectedEntityName) +176
       Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Cms.Security.CmsCrmEntitySecurityProvider.TryAssert(OrganizationServiceContext context, Entity entity, CrmEntityRight right) +123
       Adxstudio.Xrm.Cms.<>c__DisplayClass2e.<GetPublishedForums>b__2d(Entity f) +67
       System.Linq.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext() +141
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListView.CreateItemsWithoutGroups(ListViewPagedDataSource dataSource, Boolean dataBinding, InsertItemPosition insertPosition, ArrayList keyArray) +222
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListView.CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, Boolean dataBinding) +1060
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListView.PerformDataBinding(IEnumerable data) +35
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.OnDataSourceViewSelectCallback(IEnumerable data) +128
       System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +33
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +143
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListView.PerformSelect() +113
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +74
       Site.Pages.Forums.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Seepath\CELEX NETWORKS\Customer Portal\CustomerPortal - CelestixNetworks updated\Web\Pages\Forums.aspx.cs:28
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

Monday, January 30, 2012 3:40 PM
  • This code is not in the Microsoft (free) version of the portal accelerator.  It looks like you are trying to hack pieces of the commercial Adxstudio version into the free version of the portal accelerator without having a valid license for the Adxstudio verison.  If you want a good portal experience that includes a full discussion forum, please use the Adxstudio version of the portal accelerator - they include full source code so that you do not have to develop it on your own.  The cost of their portal accelerator is going to be less than the cost it would take to get you to build a forum, plus you would get commercial support and all the other benefits included with the commercial version.  Please also note that it would be against copyright laws to copy their portal code and use it without a valid license.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Monday, January 30, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Hi Shan, I installed the adx portals but  I had the MS version earlier. looks like I need to remove the old version and its reference and then deploy the code in website that use adx.
    Monday, January 30, 2012 4:21 PM
  • You should use the Adxstudio community site for support of their product (http://community.adxstudio.com/).  That said, the Adxstudio solution is stacked on top of the Microsoft solution file (they are layered).  You don't have to remove anything.  If you have the Adxstudio solution file in your CRM, simply use their customer support site.  You won't get the errors you are reporting here.

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:23 PM