Server connector problems RRS feed

• Question

• I am having probelms with the connector software with the server. I already have it installed on four computers which show that they have connected to the server in the taskbar, but if I try to use the console via the connector software then it won't connect but if I RDC the server then I can open the console and see the computers. I also can't install the software on a new computer, it finds the server and asks me to type in the password but then it wont connect when I press enter.
    Tuesday, January 1, 2008 12:16 PM

All replies

•  Dak1n wrote:
    I am having probelms with the connector software with the server. I already have it installed on four computers which show that they have connected to the server in the taskbar, but if I try to use the console via the connector software then it won't connect but if I RDC the server then I can open the console and see the computers.

Do you get any kind of error message?  Is it the same behavior from all client PCs or just one?

Dak1n wrote:
    I also can't install the software on a new computer, it finds the server and asks me to type in the password but then it wont connect when I press enter.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 3:16 PM
  • The error message when I try to connect through the console from another computer or when I try to install the connector software on another computer is 'The computer cannot conenct to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted please try again in a few minutes'. And it is the same on all PCs.
    Tuesday, January 1, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Can you try running Discovery.exe from a client, it's in the Windows Home Server folder under Program Files.

Also, you could download the WHS Toolkit and run it from a client.

It sounds as though that you are using DHCP and maybe the IP address has changed.

Colin

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Im having the exact same problems. This was right after last weeks Tuesday updates.

I tried reinstalling the console software, and I can not do that anymore. Errors out when it asked me for the password.

I have done this on all my machines, Vista ultimate and XP PRO.

I can however still access the shared drives thru my network neighborhood. Altho it does ask me for the password. And when I type it in it works in this instance.

I reconnected a monitor,mouse, and keyboard just to see what was up. Everything looks fine as far as I can see on the server side.

I even checked the log files and even tho the console SW is uninstalled on all machines. It still was able to do the daily backups on them..

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Tuesday, January 1, 2008 11:33 PM
  • I had a very pretty much the same problem.  The WHS toolkit is a must have.  As non discript as the connector troubleshooter is, it does point you in the right direction.  My problem was with DNS.  If I tried to ping the server by Name 'Server' I was getting a outside ip address.  I think my problem was even though I saved my router config when I did a firmware upgrade and reloaded it, I had to make some changes to how my router was doing DNS.

That's one thing you can check real quick. - Open a cmd window and ping your server name and see if you get it's internal IP address.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:29 AM
  • I had this problem once and it was caused by an incorrect entry in the hosts file of my client PC - i.e. I had the hosts file set with the wrong IP address.  Perhaps you guys have similar problems.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:31 AM
  • It would be greatly appreciated if dhswhs and wayner9 would further explain/list the changes and/or entries they made to correct their problems.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 4:52 AM