Non UPNP Gateway router RRS feed

• Question

• I am in a Quandry.???

My DSL router which is a 2-WIRE 2700 comes with a domain name built into firmware.

And therefore cannot change to the 'livenode' offered by Microsoft.!

WHS also does not appear to allow me to use other than the 'livenode.com' extension.

Tech support suggests a DMZ approach which leaves me concerned about security.

Help.!!!!

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:59 AM

Answers

• Once you correctly configure your router to forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to WHS, you should be able to use the dynamic DNS client built into WHS to configure your livenode.com address. The specifics of configuring your router are explained in the user's guide; they may refer to port mapping as configuring "servers" or "pinholes" or some similar phrase.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 11:56 AM
  • The dynamic DNS is built into the router firmware and I have no way of changing it. Nor can I enter the builtin router DNS name in WHS as I believe without UPNP ...WHS does not allow an entry for DNS

Ken I have also been in touch with 2-Wire support.

In effect they are saying to turn off the builtin firewall or to place the server outside the router ...ie DMZ setup.

If I attempt to use and/or open port 80 and 443 I get a 'port in use' conflict. Port 4125 is accepted by the router

Hope this explains better..see below

Friday, April 27, 2007 9:15 AM

All replies

• Once you correctly configure your router to forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to WHS, you should be able to use the dynamic DNS client built into WHS to configure your livenode.com address. The specifics of configuring your router are explained in the user's guide; they may refer to port mapping as configuring "servers" or "pinholes" or some similar phrase.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 11:56 AM
  • The dynamic DNS is built into the router firmware and I have no way of changing it. Nor can I enter the builtin router DNS name in WHS as I believe without UPNP ...WHS does not allow an entry for DNS

Ken I have also been in touch with 2-Wire support.

In effect they are saying to turn off the builtin firewall or to place the server outside the router ...ie DMZ setup.

If I attempt to use and/or open port 80 and 443 I get a 'port in use' conflict. Port 4125 is accepted by the router

Hope this explains better..see below

Friday, April 27, 2007 9:15 AM
  • If I understand correctly, your router has a dynamic DNS client built in, and in addition it has ports 80 and 443 wired down, so you can't change where they go? When you type http://12.34.56.78 (whatever your external IP address is) into your browser while at home what do you see? What about when you're outside your home? Same with https://etc?

Assuming putting another piece of hardware in your DMZ will work (i.e. your ISP will give it an external IP address, all ports will really forward to it, etc), you might be able to just go out and buy a consumer broadband router that's more configurable and put that in the DMZ, then configure it to forward appropriate ports. Or you might be able to use that other router instead of your current one. I would try using it as a replacement first, but you'll probably have to do at least some configuration of it by hand.
    Friday, April 27, 2007 11:39 AM
  • Your ISP is with TELUS? Funny... I am a employee of TELUS-Cisco Implementation. What I am about to say ONLY expresses my personal thoughts. Nothing of what I say here is affiliated with my employer.

I hate that modem/dsl/wireless/router. To my knowledge, there is no built in domain name in the FW. However, you have a different FW version that our lab environment. FYI, telus blocks port 80, 443, and with 2wire modem, there is no way you can map the WAN port to a different LAN port. Try this go to 192.168.1.254/mdc password  (password has been removed by me). This will get you into a management console. If all else fails, contact email me (profile) In addition, there is no UPnP support for the 2wire.

Friday, April 27, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Thanks for the input Ken

but here is what I am looking at on the modem/gateway/router......

I have edited IP address and name......

I believe it would work if I could input the router domain....????

View Remote Access Summary

Web Remote Access

Web Access overview

Setting up file sharing

Minimum requirementsWeb Remote Access allows you to access your local network from outside your home using the Internet. Using a standard Web browser, you can download files that have been shared on your networked computers. Web Remote Access allows you to view and modify your HomePortal system settings.

To take advantage of the remote file sharing features of Web Remote Access, you must set up
    File Sharing on each desired computer on your network.

Web Remote Access EnabledYour network can be remotely accessed via http:/xxxxx.accessmyhome.net.

Domain Name

Configuring a unique domain name for your system makes it easier for you or other users to remotely access your network over the World Wide Web.

Your current domain name is
    xxxxx.accessmyhome.net.

Your network can also accessed by typing in the current system IP address:
    http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

This IP address may change frequently; therefore, it is recommended that the domain name shown above be used.

Click EDIT SETTINGS if you wish to change or delete the domain name for your network.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:26 AM
  • That is weird. When did telus start putting domain name. I need to grab a newer modem that has been issued. Let me look into this, and it all else fails, I will look for a 2wire that has a older fw version. Of course I will need to contact service rep and explaning the problem to them.  Are you in AB or BC?
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:37 AM
  • What is your FW version too? Thanks
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:00 AM
  • BC Interior
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:43 AM
  • current = 4.25.25

also have upgrade available to 4.25.43 which I am holding back on for now as I do not want to jeopradize WHS setup until I know it is stable and in final version

Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:49 AM
  • I think Telus should talk to 2-Wire and have the livenode added to firmware in view of future and WHS or maybe WHS should have option of adding other domains ???
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:51 AM
  •  Napaq wrote:
    I think Telus should talk to 2-Wire and have the livenode added to firmware in view of future and WHS or maybe WHS should have option of adding other domains ???

Well you know how that works in a corporation. With 30,000 plus employee, I am just a little dot. What I am tick-off is why in the world would they add a domain name in the FW. I just don't get it. I need to look into this. It's a good thing I don't have that modem.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:24 AM
  • I've just installed a WHS and encountered the same difficulties accessing the server outside of the 2wire modem/router/firewall. I'm also a Telus subscriber in BC.

On the 2wire I've forwarded ports 80, 443, 4125 to the WHS as well as changed the default 2wire router domain ports to something other than 80 and 443 (I've disabled the web access anyway). 

From within my network I can web access the server and login.  But attempting to connect from the outside the 2wire I am unable to connect.

Although within WHS router diagnostic(testing) shows all checks except for the UPnP as I've manually configured the router and that it is working.  I go to testing the domain name https://servername.homeserver.com shows 'X's by web site access and remote desktop access.

I've gone through the post and was wondering what the solution actually was.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:53 PM
  •  YetAnotherAnonymous wrote:

I've just installed a WHS and encountered the same difficulties accessing the server outside of the 2wire modem/router/firewall. I'm also a Telus subscriber in BC.

On the 2wire I've forwarded ports 80, 443, 4125 to the WHS as well as changed the default 2wire router domain ports to something other than 80 and 443 (I've disabled the web access anyway). 

From within my network I can web access the server and login.  But attempting to connect from the outside the 2wire I am unable to connect.

Although within WHS router diagnostic(testing) shows all checks except for the UPnP as I've manually configured the router and that it is working.  I go to testing the domain name https://servername.homeserver.com shows 'X's by web site access and remote desktop access.

I've gone through the post and was wondering what the solution actually was.

Thanks in advance.

You may have better luck getting an answer by creating a new thread and linking to this thread.  Because this thread is marked as answered, you may lose out on answers.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:34 PM
  • I have changed the port settings in IIS so that SSL requests go to port 600. As well I made an exception of port 600 in the firewall on the WHS box.

You will also need to add port 600 as an application on the 'edit firewall settings' and then add as a hosted application to the WHS box within the 2wire gateway.

I also changed the TCP port in IIS but have never used it as I do not like opening ports ( I did not make an exception for this port in the WHS firewall) and felt that using the SSL port was the most secure approach. Perhaps it is paranoia on my part.

Finally in order to access remotely I use the following URL replacing 'your server name' for my servers name.

https://yourservername.homeserver.com:600/

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:41 AM
  •  

Thanks Napaq,

I'll haveto give this a try and see if works for my problem.  Just so I understand,

-In IIS change or forward SSL to port [600]

-Create WHS firewall exception to port [600]

-Create 2wire firewall exception to port [600]

then type i URL the following with

https://yourservername.homeserver.com:600/

Cheers!

Keith

I've started a new thread including links to this one just in case...Thanks again and will confirm whether it helps or not.

"Help with WHS Remote Access through 2wire modem/router/firewall from Telus "

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2693701&SiteID=50

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:16 PM
  • Thanks Napaq, after some digging to find where to change the IIS port for the default page (even so far as dos editing the metabase file)  this did the trick!

The router test and web page test show more errors but am now able to remote access.

Looking forward to Power Pack 1 and some of its new features.

-Keith

Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:28 PM
  • disable nat and used bridged mode:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15835

Using
    Multiple Broadband IP Addresses with the 2Wire Gateway

http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=126

dell

Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:10 AM