none
Can I deactivate Windows 7 from one computer and upgrade Windows 7 Starter?

Question

• I have 3 retail boxed Windows Home upgrades. They are working fine. I am getting a Netbook next week with Windows 7 Starter. Is there a way to deactivate one of those installs and uninstall Windows 7 from a PC? Then can I use that key to upgrade Windows 7 Starter?

Thank you for your help.

Sunday, June 06, 2010 3:12 PM

Answers

• "JerryC98" wrote in message news:66d9bdb2-138c-44aa-8eec-82fb966679f2...

I have 3 retail boxed Windows Home upgrades. They are working fine. I am getting a Netbook next week with Windows 7 Starter. Is there a way to deactivate one of those installs and uninstall Windows 7 from a PC? Then can I use that key to upgrade Windows 7 Starter?

Thank you for your help.

There is no way to 'deactivate' windows machines that I know of.
    Assuming that one or more of your licenses are unused, you should have no problem using those for your new PC, with an Anytime Upgrade.
    If the license are already in use, then you need to UNINSTALL one of the upgrades =which may mean a reformat/reinstall. - and then install the Anytime Upgrade in the new PC.
    You may be asked for more details, or be forced to manually activate the system, but I see no problems with that.

HTH

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Hi JerryC98,

As Noel mentioned there is no Deactivation.

"uninstall Windows 7 from a PC? Then can I use that key to upgrade Windows 7 Starter?"

Yes, that should be fine.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, June 07, 2010 7:28 PM
    Owner

All replies

• "JerryC98" wrote in message news:66d9bdb2-138c-44aa-8eec-82fb966679f2...

I have 3 retail boxed Windows Home upgrades. They are working fine. I am getting a Netbook next week with Windows 7 Starter. Is there a way to deactivate one of those installs and uninstall Windows 7 from a PC? Then can I use that key to upgrade Windows 7 Starter?

Thank you for your help.

There is no way to 'deactivate' windows machines that I know of.
    Assuming that one or more of your licenses are unused, you should have no problem using those for your new PC, with an Anytime Upgrade.
    If the license are already in use, then you need to UNINSTALL one of the upgrades =which may mean a reformat/reinstall. - and then install the Anytime Upgrade in the new PC.
    You may be asked for more details, or be forced to manually activate the system, but I see no problems with that.

HTH

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Hi JerryC98,

As Noel mentioned there is no Deactivation.

"uninstall Windows 7 from a PC? Then can I use that key to upgrade Windows 7 Starter?"

Yes, that should be fine.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, June 07, 2010 7:28 PM
    Owner