New Server install. (unrecognized Controller Drivers) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a slight issue with this new server install that I cant seem to figure out on my own anymore. (well, without buying more hardware...)
    I need to install WHS on an IDE controller.
    So far I have a 2 Promise controllers FastTrak TX2000 and FastTrak100 TX2 both of which have the latest firmware and Windows 2003 drivers.

Both off these cards work just fine in any Win2003 installation that I've tried.
    However WHS will not recognize the drivers at all.
    I just even tried a new install of a regular Win2003 server and it loads the same drivers just fine with F6.

What gives? How can I get the WHS gui setup to read the certified drivers?

Thanks
    Friday, August 14, 2009 11:59 AM

All replies

• Options I can think of off the top of my head:
    • Change the mode of the controllers to JBOD, and let the server handle the drives as normal IDE drives. I don't guarantee this will work; not every RAID controller (and those are both RAID controllers) supports this kind of pass-through.
    • Prepare your F6 floppy and supply the drivers that way.
    • Buy a cheap IDE card (or two) that doesn't require drivers for Windows.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I've tried to install with having 2 80GB drives in JBOD mode., will try again tonight to double check.

As far as F6 and floppy..., would USB floppy work for this?

Any recommendations of IDE cards? I tried another generic VIA card from Microcenter (that had Win2003 support) and the WHS gui completely froze on me before I could even select the drivers on the floppy.

Thanks
    Friday, August 14, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I've tried to install with having 2 80GB drives in JBOD mode., will try again tonight to double check.

As far as F6 and floppy..., would USB floppy work for this?

Any recommendations of IDE cards? I tried another generic VIA card from Microcenter (that had Win2003 support) and the WHS gui completely froze on me before I could even select the drivers on the floppy.

Thanks
    USB floppy: maybe, but spend the 6 bucks for a floppy drive connected using a floppy cable. If space is tight you can open the case, connect the drive but leave it sitting on your desk, then remove it when you're done installing.

IDE cards: no specific recommendations. Best, though, is to get a modern motherbaord (it doesn't have to be anything special, really) and configure the SATA ports for legacy or IDE mode.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Make yourself aware, that the mainboard has still a connector for a floppy drive, before you buy or borrow a floppy drive.
    Don't you have a mainboard with IDE controllers?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:27 PM
  • I got the WHS loading drivers from either USB stick or USB floppy... I do have an array of hardware here so I can just yank just about anything for testing.
    The motherboard is a Supermicro C2SBX it has 1 IDE and 1 floppy connections.
    I could use the MB's IDE port but my DVD drive is IDE also and so I am stuck with 3 IDE devices.

In the Promise card's BIOS I can set Stripe, Span or Mirror. (I am testing with 1 drive at this point.)
    Span didnt work.
    Stripe doesnt work either.
    Mirror.., for ovious reasons was not tested.

The log from WHS failure tells me that it loaded the driver just fine.., but then it only finds DVD drive and USB stuff.

So if the 1st install GUI cant see the card but Win2003 loads it just fine from F6 .....
    Friday, August 14, 2009 11:22 PM