Help in CRM 4.0 Roll Up 8 Redeployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

I have upgraded from windows 2003 Server,+SQL 2005 Standard to 2008 Server + SQL 2008 Standard.  I have restore the databases for CRM but when I try to run the import wizard in order to map de actual AD users with the users in the database, I get an error System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException (0x80072030): There is no such object on the server. Doing some research I read this error was already fixed since roll up 4, nevertheless I have rollup 8.

I made a test trying to create a new organization from scratch, but I get the exact message as importing an organization.  This is the error message:

Error| Create new Organization (Name=test, Id=85ad172f-a1fa-de11-b17b-0019d138febb) failed with Exception:
    System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException (0x80072030): There is no such object on the server.

I appreciate all your help

Ronald

Note: I tryed the import wizard in order to solve an authenitcation error when a user logs in to CRM.  If anyone knows of a way to change all the GUIDs for groups and users in the database without using the import wizard, please let me know. 
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:04 AM

Answers

• Follow the steps in this document to redeploy CRM to a new domain.  Once CRM is deployed to the new domain and working, then do the upgrade to SQL 2008.  You need to follow the steps carefully and take the actions in the correct order for this to work as expected.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronald S. _ Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:17 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Roland,
    Does new server is in the same domain ?
    As I understand you had a MSCRM 4.0 (UR8) on old server and you install MSCRM 4.0 on new (W2k8+SQL 2k8). Do you install UR8 with blank Organization which is created during installation MSCRM ?

Does old server had also UR8 ?

Only one supported way to change GUIDs is Import Wizard.

P.S.
    If you still have old server you can moved CRM databases very easy by edit registry on old MSCRM server: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952934 and when it will be working I will install new MSCRM and will promote it to main server.

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:28 AM
  • Hello-

Thanks for your reply.  The new server is on a different domain.  When I installed CRM the blank Organization work perfectly.  Nevertheless, when I restored the backup databases I got the error "Invalid User Authentication".  That's when I found that I should import the Organization in order to map the users to the AD accounts, but it didn't work.

On the other hand, both servers had update roll up 8.

Note, I upgraded the old 2003 server with the new 2008, so there is no way to modify the registry keys.

Best regards,

Ronald
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Follow the steps in this document to redeploy CRM to a new domain.  Once CRM is deployed to the new domain and working, then do the upgrade to SQL 2008.  You need to follow the steps carefully and take the actions in the correct order for this to work as expected.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronald S. _ Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:17 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Nevertheless, when I restored the backup databases I got the error "Invalid User Authentication".

Do you restore old MSCRM databases on the Sql 2008 under the same name (as blank organization) ?

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Hello

Thanks kgorczewski and Donna for all your help.  In order to start from scratch I tried to unstaill Microsoft Dynacmis CRM 4.0 and it gave erros.  Fortunately I had a system image just before the restoration of the database and I rolled back in time where I had the blank organization.

Once I was back with a freshly CRM installation, I followed steps in the KB953924 article and I was able to restore my CRM installation.    I guess that the big oops is that I also restored the CRM configuration database.

Best regards
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:17 PM