none
Cloning HDD to SDD Windows 10 Home

Question

• Want to Clone my Win10 Home 64bit HDD to a SSD Drive.  I did this with a previous Win7 HDD and used the Free Version of Macrium Reflect Version 5.x...and it was easy and simple to install and the cloning process was easy to follow. 

I tried to install that same Reflect Version on my Win10 PC and got you are attempting to install a 32bit version of the software on a 64bit OS....so I did not proceed, not even sure it would have installed.

I went to the Macrium Site to look for the 64bit Free Download, it showed version 6.x.  I downloaded that version; the site did not show a selection for 32bit...or 64bit.

When I started the Install of Reflect 6.x it showed the following downloads 1) Reflect Installer 2) PE Components.

Seems what you download from the Macrium site is not the Cloning software....its a Starter app to download the Reflect software and install it.

I did not proceed, I know nothing about what is meant by PE Components.  I also would not be using this software for any type of Backup and Restore....that is why Macrium 5.x was nice to use.....you were not, or at least I thought I was not downloading and installing Components that I would never use. 

Did not see an option to customize install....and not knowing what PE Components is\Does....and that all I wanted to do was Clone my Win10 Home 64 Bit GDD to a SDD Drive....and nothing more I have not proceeded to Install Reflect Cloning Software.

Do I just Install Reflect with the PE Components....I don't Think?? I need?  What are the PE Components (I always feel if I don't know what something is I probably have no use for it).

Is there a better Free Download Cloning Software that won't install stuff I will never use and is as easy to perform the Cloning process as was Reflect ver5?

<nav class="navbar navbar-default visible-xs visible-sm hidden-md hidden-lg mobileMenu">

<button aria-label="Me Too" class="msaActionText subRatingYBtn voteText thdJoinBtn thdJoin" role="menuitem" title="Click to let us know you have the same question">        Me Too     </button>
    • <button aria-label="Reply" class="msaActionText msgReplyBtn" role="menuitem" title="Sign in to reply">    Reply </button>                    
    <button class="navbar-toggle collapsed" data-target="#fd08f65a-76ad-43ce-9ada-f41f5ff49922" data-toggle="collapse" type="button">Image                 </button>        

• <button class="msaActionText msgAbuseBtn" title="Report inappropriate content">    Report abuse    
      </button>                    
    • <button class="msaActionText subscribeThreadBtn" title="Click to get notified of replies and answers on this thread">    Subscribe to updates </button>                    

</nav>
      <button aria-label="Me Too" class="msaActionText subRatingYBtn voteText thdJoinBtn thdJoin" role="menuitem" title="Click to let us know you have the same question">        Me Too     </button>

• <button aria-label="Reply" class="msaActionText msgReplyBtn" role="menuitem" title="Sign in to reply">    Reply </button>             
    • <button aria-label="Report abuse" class="msaActionText msgAbuseBtn" role="menuitem" title="Report inappropriate content">    Report abuse    
      </button>                 
    • <button aria-label="Subscribe to updates" class="msaActionText subscribeThreadBtn" role="menuitem" title="Click to get notified of replies and answers on this thread">    Subscribe to updates </button>        
    <button class="info-panel-close-button">Image</button>                        

Abuse history

Preeti Patel        replied on         <button aria-label="Date" class="msaActionText msgHistoryBtn info-panel-toggle-link" data-panelcontainer=".userInfo" data-paneltarget="#message-history-holder-42af8c54-4a1a-4070-8813-9bc24aa384cd" title="See post history">September 19, 2015See post history</button>                     
    • Microsoft                 
    • Support Engineer                             
    <button aria-expanded="False" aria-haspopup="True" class="msaActionText info-panel-toggle-link thread-author-info-toggle-button" data-panelcontainer=".userInfo" data-paneltarget="#thread-author-info-panel-42af8c54-4a1a-4070-8813-9bc24aa384cd" title="Accomplishments">AccomplishmentsAccomplishments</button>            
    <button class="info-panel-close-button"></button>

Accomplishments

Hi Den,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced.

This issue better suite for TechNet Forum .

I would suggest you to post your query in TechNet Forum .

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

I hope this help.

Thanks.
    Saturday, September 19, 2015 8:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sorry to bounce you again, but this forum is for Microsoft Project Online, an Enterprise Project Management Tool. Try the Macrium site for advice or a general PC support forum. Your problem isn't for windows 10, more for how to copy across. Do a general search of the Internet and follow useful looking links.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Saturday, September 19, 2015 10:21 PM
  • I am not trying to resolve a problem, I am looking for advice and direction how to 1) Clone a HDD to SDD 2) What software would be recommend to make that task simple.  So how is that the Microsoft Answers Post and now this thread is appropriate to ask for that advice.  To my thinking Microsoft Answers was the place to get answers on How to....I am not asking a question about reflect, just used it for example purposes.  People who review both the Microsoft Answers and this thread could provide valuable information....to assist me.

You directed me to this site after reading my Microsoft Answers Post (or at least I believe it was you, if not another moderator did)...and directed me to this site as the proper place to Post my question.......

I would not want to Post in Reflect....because my question deals with How to and the best Cloning Software to use......

Sunday, September 20, 2015 3:22 AM
  • We are mostly experts at using Microsoft Project in this group. Few of us are expert Windows Engineers so either you won't get any advice at all or it will be educated guesses.

If you want the best advice and direction quickly, go to a forum that focuses on windows, not an application like Project.

Start off with a search engine search for something like - cloning a hard drive to an SSD drive.

Your first decision is should you?

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Sunday, September 20, 2015 8:15 PM