Windows Home Server Disk Boot Failure after addition of new storage drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Home Server with a 500 GB system drive, a 1 TB Storage Drive and a 1 TB external storage drive connected via USB.    The Internal Storage drive recently started clicking and the server bacame unresponsive.

I purchased a new 1 TB hard drive (non Advanced File System), pulled out my clicking 1TB storage drive and replaced it with the new one and started up the server.

It failed with "DISK BOOT FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK". I tried swapping the power connectors around, swapped the SATA cables, removed my external USB drive, fixed the boot order in the BIOS - all to no avail.

I'm stumped. Is it possible that the boot instructions could have been written to the 1 TB storage drive and not to the 500 GB system drive? I've got all of my data backed up so I'm not too stressed about losing anything right now - just frustrated that this is no longer working as it should. The build is relatively new (1 year) so the disk subsystem *shouldn't* be failing. I have no DVD drive in the box so re-installing the OS will be a pain.

Next step will be to try my Win XP cd and the Recovery Console - if that doesn't work I will try to boot from the WHS installation CD and reinstall the OS.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

thanks very much for any assistance.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• Are you sure about which drive you installed on?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:18 PM
  • hehe - I'm certain the OS was installed to the 20 Gb partition on my 500 GB drive however I did notice when my storage drive initially started to fail that there seemed to be a lot of operating system folders alongside the DE folders on what should have been uniquely a storage drive.   I thought at the time that this might have been by design but now I'm not sure anymore.

At any rate - if I did mistakenly install the OS to the 1 TB drive that has now been removed - how can I neatly re-install the OS to the 500 GB drive where it's supposed to be - all without losing my data?

thanks!

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Try reading these FAQs:

FAQ1

FAQ2

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:30 PM