You May Be A Victim of Software counterfeiting RRS feed

• Question

• I was in the process of removing a virus I had on my computer and when I rebooted, it says that my copy of windows isn't genuine. I've had this computer for a couple of years now and never had this happen. I purchased it at a rent a center place and then had the hardrive replaced at a computer shop where they had to reintall everything again. Now that I got this virus and try to clean my computer, i get this message. What should I do. Here is the log from the diagnostic tool.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-MGCP8-BG48K-WPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: lzoyK6Iuz4Ct+ODMrG0zetoK65k=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-2669525-23251
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {F69A077E-F1EB-4C60-8E15-931AE12C80FE}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{F69A077E-F1EB-4C60-8E15-931AE12C80FE}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WPWBY</PKey><PID>55274-640-2669525-23251</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-515967899-616249376-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq Presario 061</Manufacturer><Model>DK301A-ABA S4500NX NA210</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>3.17   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040224000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>4D0837570184A05F</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57156</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 104EA:Compaq Computer Corporation|1A789:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Monday, November 23, 2009 3:38 AM

Answers

• Hello mekap04,

According to the mgadiag report posted above, your Compaq Presario S4500NX desktop PC has nongenuine installations of both Windows XP Pro and Office Professional 2003.

Here is the part regarding Windows:
    WGA Data-->

The computer currently has a nongenuine Volume Licensing installation of XP Professional.  According to the support pages at Compaq http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=326934&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20» this computer came from Compaq with a licensed installation of XP Home Edition.  You can verify this if you can locate the Certificate of Authenticity for XP Home Edition affixed to the computer's case.

In order to Get Genuine Windows, please backup and ofload your data and cleanly install the original shipping XP Home Edition license.  If you do not have the Compaq recovery/reinstallation discs to accomplish that, please contact Compaq tech support or customer support at the above link and request to be sent a set of discs.  If they cannot assist, you can try third party sources for genuine recovery/reinstallation discs such as http://www.restoredisks.com.

Here is the snippet regarding Office:
    OGA Data-->

Regarding Office, the report says you have a Blocked VLK, which means that (a) your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of Office Professional Edition 2003 installed, and that (b) a Blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) was used to install it.  A "blocked" VLK is one that was issued by Microsoft to a business, educational institution, or governmental agency for their exclusive use in accordance with a Volume Licensing Agreement.  (Note that such use does NOT allow the resale of such VLKs.)  However, because the VLK may have been reported lost, stolen, or compromised to the internet by the original keyholder, or because the Volume Licensing Agreement has expired, Microsoft has blocked the VLK from further use.

Did you purchase this copy of Office separate from the computer?  If so, you were sold counterfeit software.  Depending upon whether you received "high quality" counterfeit materials, you may qualify for the Office Complimentary Offer or for the Office Genuine Advantage discounted offer.  Please see the FAQ here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EKNAC  If you think that you qualify for the Genuine Office Offer, apply for the Offer thru the Learn More Online link that the OGA Notifier is displaying.

If you purchased the computer with this copy of Office already installed, the computer seller engaged in the form of piracy known as "hard disk loading."  In either case, you do not have a license to run this copy of Office, so please uninstall it from the computer at your earliest opportunity.

One other possibility is that at one time your computer did have a Genuine installation of Office installed, but for some reason it was replaced with the current installation which is nongenuine.  This could have happened if you took your computer to a repair shop and they reinstalled Windows and/or some or all of your programs.  You Get Genuine once again by uninstalling the current nongenuine installation of Office and using your Genuine Microsoft hologrammed Office installation CDs, along with the genuine Product Key found on your Office Edition's Certificate of Authenticity, to put back the genuine installation of Office you may have already had on the computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 23, 2009 10:43 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hello mekap04,

According to the mgadiag report posted above, your Compaq Presario S4500NX desktop PC has nongenuine installations of both Windows XP Pro and Office Professional 2003.

Here is the part regarding Windows:
    WGA Data-->

The computer currently has a nongenuine Volume Licensing installation of XP Professional.  According to the support pages at Compaq http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=326934&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20» this computer came from Compaq with a licensed installation of XP Home Edition.  You can verify this if you can locate the Certificate of Authenticity for XP Home Edition affixed to the computer's case.

In order to Get Genuine Windows, please backup and ofload your data and cleanly install the original shipping XP Home Edition license.  If you do not have the Compaq recovery/reinstallation discs to accomplish that, please contact Compaq tech support or customer support at the above link and request to be sent a set of discs.  If they cannot assist, you can try third party sources for genuine recovery/reinstallation discs such as http://www.restoredisks.com.

Here is the snippet regarding Office:
    OGA Data-->

Regarding Office, the report says you have a Blocked VLK, which means that (a) your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of Office Professional Edition 2003 installed, and that (b) a Blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) was used to install it.  A "blocked" VLK is one that was issued by Microsoft to a business, educational institution, or governmental agency for their exclusive use in accordance with a Volume Licensing Agreement.  (Note that such use does NOT allow the resale of such VLKs.)  However, because the VLK may have been reported lost, stolen, or compromised to the internet by the original keyholder, or because the Volume Licensing Agreement has expired, Microsoft has blocked the VLK from further use.

Did you purchase this copy of Office separate from the computer?  If so, you were sold counterfeit software.  Depending upon whether you received "high quality" counterfeit materials, you may qualify for the Office Complimentary Offer or for the Office Genuine Advantage discounted offer.  Please see the FAQ here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EKNAC  If you think that you qualify for the Genuine Office Offer, apply for the Offer thru the Learn More Online link that the OGA Notifier is displaying.

If you purchased the computer with this copy of Office already installed, the computer seller engaged in the form of piracy known as "hard disk loading."  In either case, you do not have a license to run this copy of Office, so please uninstall it from the computer at your earliest opportunity.

One other possibility is that at one time your computer did have a Genuine installation of Office installed, but for some reason it was replaced with the current installation which is nongenuine.  This could have happened if you took your computer to a repair shop and they reinstalled Windows and/or some or all of your programs.  You Get Genuine once again by uninstalling the current nongenuine installation of Office and using your Genuine Microsoft hologrammed Office installation CDs, along with the genuine Product Key found on your Office Edition's Certificate of Authenticity, to put back the genuine installation of Office you may have already had on the computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 23, 2009 10:43 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:57 PM
  • So basically, all I need is the cds for compaq to restore office and windows? How do I backup all my programs when I get the cds to reinstall everything? Right now I am a little confused on what to do. I will contact compaq in the morning to request the cds but until I get them what should I do about the message? Is it safe to browse online with my pc not genuine? Thanks for all your help and assistance.

Oh and what does this mean

"You Get Genuine once again by uninstalling the current nongenuine installation of Office and using your Genuine Microsoft hologrammed Office installation CDs, along with the genuine Product Key found on your Office Edition's Certificate of Authenticity , to put back the genuine installation of Office you may have already had on the computer."
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:29 AM
  • Hello mekap04,

The discs from Compaq will put a fresh and Genuine installation of Windows onto your Compaq computer.  It's not likely that they will install Genuine full OEM licensed copy of Office onto the computer, because Windows and Office are two separate products that must each be paid for.  Depending upon the exact details and design of the discs, the Compaq discs might install a Trial edition of Office, which would function for a certain number of days and/or uses before the Trial expires.  After that you would have to purchase a product key from Microsoft to continue to use the product--just like any other "trial."

The second paragraph of your reply is one of the "ifs" that I use when responding.  That one applies to a situation where for some reason there is a nongenuine installation of Office on the person's computer despite the fact that the person has a Genuine, properly licensed copy of Office in their possession.  In such case, to Get Genuine the person uninstalls the nongenuine Office and then installs the Genuine Office they have, replacing the bad with the good.  If you do not have any Office installation materials (discs, CoA, user guide, etc) then that paragraph does not apply to your situation.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Compaq rold me that dont have anymore discs for my computer but I seen where I could buy them. If I did that, it would solve my problem and my pc will be genuine again? What about my programs that I have. How do I save them? And do I need to uninstall office and xp now?

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:32 AM
  • Hello mekap04,

Did you ever confirm that the computer has a Certificate of Authenticity on it for XP Home Edition?  If it does, then using the genuine Compaq restore/recovery/reinstallation discs will put a genuine XP installation back onto the computer.

If you search eBay for "Compaq recovery disc" or similar, you get tons of hits for discs that ARE NOT genuine Compaq recovery discs, but are generic boot discs with a lot of free programs on them but no legal Windows Operating System.  BE SURE of what you are buying.

Running the recovery typically wipes out all information on the C: drive, so you will have to backup your data first, then afterwards freshly install all of your programs then restore your data.  You should have installation discs for your programs, or if you purchased them with a direct download, you should be able to sign in to the program vendor sites and download them again.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:47 PM