none
MCSE 2012 Guidance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking at taking on the MCSE 2012 Server Infrastructure certification, i completed 2003 (microsoft systems engineer) through a college back in 05 but never got certified because i was unable to find a job, i would like to complete the 2012 certification without the aid of a money hungry college. if i had to do this on my own id like to know what would be the ideal hardware setup for me to effectively learn the skills necessary my thought would be to setup a small home network or domain if possible, would this be an effective route to consider?

Also where would i be able to get the official study material and resources??

Your insight would be much appreciated!!

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:10 AM

Answers

• [...] id like to know what would be the ideal hardware setup for me to effectively learn the skills necessary my thought would be to setup a small home network or domain if possible

Consider using Virtualization. Get a computer with a large amount of RAM, install Windows Server 2012, and enable Hyper-V. This will be instructive in itself, since these topics will be part of the MCSE. Then, create several virtual machines and link them by means of one ore more virtual networks. In those machines you can install one or more domain controllers, as well as one or more member server or clients. This will let you perform all kinds of experiments without needing more than one phyical machine.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:07 PM

All replies

• [...] id like to know what would be the ideal hardware setup for me to effectively learn the skills necessary my thought would be to setup a small home network or domain if possible

Consider using Virtualization. Get a computer with a large amount of RAM, install Windows Server 2012, and enable Hyper-V. This will be instructive in itself, since these topics will be part of the MCSE. Then, create several virtual machines and link them by means of one ore more virtual networks. In those machines you can install one or more domain controllers, as well as one or more member server or clients. This will let you perform all kinds of experiments without needing more than one phyical machine.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Some of the Microsoft Training kits also provide details on what environment you'll need to complete your study.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:03 PM