Machines not waking from Standby/Hibernate for Backup RRS feed

• Question

• None of my machines in Standby or Hibernate are being backed up automatically during the backup window.  This includes 2 laptops and 1 desktop.  All are runnig Vista, are plugged in, and are not shut down.  The one machine I leave running is automatically backed up nightly.

How can I debug why these machines aren't being backed up?

rossc

Thursday, October 4, 2007 8:30 AM

Answers

• I should report that I finally solved my problem with the backups not running onmy Vista machine. It turns out that my Vista PC is connected to an APC UPS and that that is somehow fooling WHS backup into believing that I am running on battery (even though the power icon in the tray clearly says I am on AC power). WHS backup refuses to run if it thinks you are on battery (wish it had written an event to the event log to that efffect). I have temporarily bypassed the issue by unplugging the USB cable from the UPS to my PC and the WHS team is off looking into how to possibly fix it.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 8:05 PM

All replies

• Did you check, If you can wake up your computers via Wake on LAN? Is the network card configured for it?

Thanks,

Christoph
    Thursday, October 4, 2007 1:02 PM
  • According to http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1334915&SiteID=50, WHS doesn't use Wake on LAN.  The Connector is supposed to initiate the startup and backup while in Standby or Hibernate mode.  Is that no longer correct?

Thursday, October 4, 2007 3:44 PM
  • That's correct, WHS doesn't use Wake On LAN. However, it also doesn't wake a PC that's in hibernation, and I have a desktop machine that won't wake from standby for a backup. My laptop wakes from standby just fine, as long as it's running on wall current. It won't wake while on battery, but that's by design.

Waking for a backup is very dependent on installed software, hardware and BIOS configuration, etc. so it's possible that your configuration just doesn't support it for some reason. Figuring out that reason can be pretty tough, unfortunately.
    Thursday, October 4, 2007 4:28 PM
  •  

Ken at al,

Tough to figure out indeed!!!

I have searched many posts, but have not found the answer to the subject shown.

What are the settings that should be checked (and/or what should be set) on a computer that does not come out of standby?

It seems odd that we can't find any troubleshooting ideas for this problem.

Can you help with some ideas as to what we should check?

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:41 AM
  • For what its worth, my Vista PC is not waking up for the automatic backup either, but I have no problems getting to to Wake-On-Lan or to wakeup for a scheduled task that has the "wake the computer to run this task" property set, so I think this is really a Vista issue and nothing to do with power management per se.

Has anyone on the WHS team ever installed the connector on a Vista PC and put that PC into S3 and observed whether it ever wakes up to do the automatic backup? If not, please do (because I believe you'll find it doesn't work). If so, perhaps we can compare notes to see what's different about your configuration that would explain things. Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Ok, so last night I cancelled all scheduled tasks that I had that were trying to wake the PC to do stuff. I wanted to see if when I did that, whether WHS would wake the PC on its own without any "help" from my scheduled tasks.

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the PC did indeed wake up of its own accord at 12:23 AM after having been placed into S3 at 9PM (which had to have been the result of WHS, since I had nothing else that would have caused that).

The bad news is that no backup occurred.

Rather, the PC fell back asleep in less than 2 minutes as documented in the thread "Vista PC falls asleep before i can be backed up".

<rant>
    Jeez Louise! Can I get ANYONE at Microsoft to take an interest in this? I reported this behavior last February and worked with support for 3 weeks trying to narrow it down, ending when I was told that the problem had been recreated and that I would  be notified when there was a fix available. Here we are nearly 10 months later and Ihave not been notified, nor have any of the Vista updates cured the problem. This behavior effectively prevents me from being able to do ANY maintenance tasks in the middle of the night (I guess, unless I want to leave the PC on all the time, which I'd really rather not). &deity. almighty I am so sick of this. Look, I like Vista, I really do, and I really really really want to be able to keep using it, but I'm getting close to the end of my rope. Unless I have some sort of unique issue with my configuration that's causing this problem (which I don't think is the case because whenever I engage in a thread to discuss the problem, there are always others who report they are experiencing the same) this Vista bug is going to give WHS a black eye when people try to start using it to backup their Vista PC's and trip over this. Maybe the WHS team can use some internal "pull" in MS to get the Vista power management team to finally DO something about this! Sheesh ...
    </rant>

Bob

For what its worth, here's my event log showing this:

Information     11/28/2007 12:25:39 AM  Kernel-Power    42      None
    Information     11/28/2007 12:25:38 AM  ResourcePublication     102     None
    Information     11/28/2007 12:25:10 AM  Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider       7036    None
    Information     11/28/2007 12:24:01 AM  User-PnP        20001   None
    Information     11/28/2007 12:24:01 AM  User-PnP        20003   None
    Information     11/28/2007 12:24:00 AM  Power-Troubleshooter    1       None
    Information     11/28/2007 12:23:59 AM  ResourcePublication     104     None
    Information     11/28/2007 12:23:59 AM  Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider       7036    None
    Information     11/28/2007 12:23:55 AM  Time-Service    37      None
    Information     11/28/2007 12:23:55 AM  Dhcp-Client     1103    None
    Information     11/28/2007 12:23:53 AM  Tcpip   4201    None
    Information     11/27/2007 9:00:45 PM   Kernel-Power    42      None
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:02 PM
  • I have a similar problem, a desktop running Vista Ultimate which when in hibernation wakes up, backs up and goes back to hibernation consistently and a laptop running Vista home premium which will not wake from hibernation.
    I have checked the Power settings they are the same. I can do manual backups no problem.
    The laptop is on mains power and hardwired into the network.
    What I would like to see is a Test button on WHS to try out different scenerios, changing the backup time and waiting is a bit tedious.
    Frank
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:25 PM
  • I should report that I finally solved my problem with the backups not running onmy Vista machine. It turns out that my Vista PC is connected to an APC UPS and that that is somehow fooling WHS backup into believing that I am running on battery (even though the power icon in the tray clearly says I am on AC power). WHS backup refuses to run if it thinks you are on battery (wish it had written an event to the event log to that efffect). I have temporarily bypassed the issue by unplugging the USB cable from the UPS to my PC and the WHS team is off looking into how to possibly fix it.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Thanks for posting that update, Bob.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:07 PM
  • It seems most problems in this thread are asociated with Vista.  I'm about to install WHS and all the clients are running XP Home - SP2 and rountinely hibernate.  Am I going to have similiar problems?

Thanks for the help!

Bill

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:56 PM
  • Not as long as you don't have them connected to a UPS ... I had another machine running XP SP2 that was also connected to a (TrippLite) UPS and it occasionally ran a backup, but not always. Unplugging the USB cable from the UPS to the PC fixed that on the XP machine as well (backups went from sporadic to every night).
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Bob,

Thanks for the response.  I use APC UPS's at each PC.  However, I long since gave up on the software atuomation and have accordingly unplugged the USB cables.  Sounds like I mignt be in business!!!!

Thanks again!

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:09 PM