RDC is OK but Connector Install fails RRS feed

• Question

• Client = Windows 7 64Bit

Installed Vail and I am able to connect to that system via the RDC

When attempting to install the connector on the Windows 7 system I am greeted with 'An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for the network.'

I am able to ping the vail system

I can see the vail system in my Network from the Windows 7 client however I am unable to access any of the shares.

Reboot performed on both the vail system and the Windows 7 system with no success with installation of the connector.

I am in the PST Time Zone and both the client and server are set as such.

Note: In review of the services.msc I notice that none of the Windows Server * services are started.

Attempted to start the Windows Server Service Provider service. Greeted with 'The Windows Server Service Provider service on Local COmputer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.'

The only information in the event viewer on this surrounds the Service Control Manager entering a stopped state.

Special Note: Because I am a software tester by profession I do like to tinker where I probably shouldn't, so I did set up the server such that I could change the workgroup name to match my internal network. I set this back to WORKGROUP and re-enabled the service application but I may have missed a step that would be presenting me with the issue I see now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Friday, May 14, 2010 6:50 PM

Answers

• SOLVED

I was able to manually create and enable the proper certification policy.

Once that was done, I had no issues with installing the connector and all Windows Server  * services started with no issues.

Hey, that's part of playing around with Beta, you see what you can get away with, tinker with and learn before it goes live. :-)

I have put in a vote to allow the modification of WORKGROUP.

Friday, May 14, 2010 7:13 PM

All replies

• SOLVED

I was able to manually create and enable the proper certification policy.

Once that was done, I had no issues with installing the connector and all Windows Server  * services started with no issues.

Hey, that's part of playing around with Beta, you see what you can get away with, tinker with and learn before it goes live. :-)

I have put in a vote to allow the modification of WORKGROUP.

Friday, May 14, 2010 7:13 PM
  • I've just installed the new Vail refresh and I've been having the same problem - cannot install the connector, with the same error message, but I'm also able to RDC into my server.  Can you please let me know exactly what you did to fix this problem?  I'm already thinking about reverting back to the last release but would like to give this another try.  Thanks.
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Having the same Problem in here.

- Can ping the server, RDC and VNC works nice.

- Connecting and logging in the webacess with created userprofiles works fine.

- All computers located in WORKGROUP

But:

- Installing the Connector software on 2 Win7 systems crashes with the "unexpected error" described above

- I'm unable to connect to shared folders from client PCs

Once ago, I suddenly got access to the folders, so I connect 2 network drives. But after rebooting the 2 Systems the connections are gone and I got the "access violation" error all the time I tried to connect again.

Can somebody help me?
    How can I "create and enable the proper certification policy"?

Monday, August 30, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Can you post the steps you used to create and enable the certification policy?  I have been receiving the same error.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:15 AM