Besides the 10 user limit, is there a limit on no. of computers accessing the server just for file sharing? RRS feed

• Question

• (First: I'm aware WHS has a 10 user limit). I'm building a media server for my family (huge), mostly to be used for streaming to several devices, Media Centers, Phones etc. This will be quite a lot more than 10 computers devices.

I do not need all these people to backup their computers to this server - I want to use it more as a common storage pool to store music, movies, photos etc., not for backup.

THE QUESTION IS: Is there a restriction on even the number of people who can access, say shared files, from the server? Will there be a problem if more than 10 users try to connect at once? Please enlighten me on this topic. ( like XP's inbound connection limit)

P.S: I've considered WHS mostly due to the Storage solution it offers. It's looks extremely good for my requirement. (Extendability, backup etc) I don't mind Server 2008, but managing RAID configs seems too much as opposed to this.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:10 AM

All replies

• 10 users, 10 client computers, 10 devices. Effectively you have 10 CALs.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:30 AM
  • 10 users, 10 client computers, 10 devices. Effectively you have 10 CALs.

Ken:

Surely any computer on the local network can access the WHS files (without installing the connector software).

In my house my wife and I each have XP-Pro corporate laptops (belonging to domains, not our home workgroup) and they can access the WHS files by local IP address and supplying a username/password that WHS knows about.

This kind of usage is not subject to the 10 user limit is it?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:30 PM
    • You can create 10 users on your server.
    • You can join 10 client computers to your server.
    • You can access your server's shares from 10 devices at the same time. Those devices can use any valid credentials on the server: Administrator, Guest, individual users, and all could use the same credentials if you like. I don't think this limitation affects users streaming media from the server, however.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:51 PM
  • You can create 10 users on your server.
    You can join 10 client computers to your server.
    You can access your server's shares from 10 devices at the same time. Those devices can use any valid credentials on the server: Administrator, Guest, individual users, and all could use the same credentials if you like. I don't think this limitation affects users streaming media from the server, however.
    OK, thanks. My wife thinks I have too many computers running in our house, but I don't have that many.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:59 PM