Tyan S5502WGM3NR Motherboard and WHS V1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've had a search and the Tyan S5502WGM3NR motherboard does not seem to be mentioned on these forums, couldn't find much via Google either.

I'm considering using this board for my first server build, I was considering the Supermicro X8SIA-F   when I spotted the Tyan board. The Tyan board has an on board SAS controller and four SAS ports, which to me looks like it could be very useful, and save further expense in the future when I use up the 6 sata sockets. I'll also be using the CSE-M35TQ hard drive racks which supports SAS.

Question is has anybody used this board before and is Tyan a reliable make?

Is it practical to use SAS with WHS?

I was thinking of using one drive connected via SATA for the O/S and the pool drives connected via SAS, or would it be better to connect all via SAS?

What's peoples thoughts?

Monday, December 13, 2010 7:37 PM

All replies

• In my experience Tyan is generally reliable, if you insist on building a server from parts. However, you may potentially have driver issues; I strongly suggest you make sure you practice (several times) both the installation of Windows Home Server and the recovery process, with appropriate drives connected to each interface and part of server storage, so you'll get a feel for how easy it will be to do a recovery in the event you really need to (because of failed system disk or OS corruption, for example). You don't want to learn you need different drivers during installation vs. after installation while you're in the middle of a recovery, for instance …
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 13, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Thanks Ken for your reply, I've ordered the Motherboard, drive cage, power supply and WHS PP3, the rest of the build will have to wait until the New Year when funds are replenished.

It will be a learning curve for me, built plenty of desktop PCs but I guess servers are a bit different.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:54 PM