Website OneCare - where is log file? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello!

I'm working on Vista Ultimate 32, IE8. I've used Microsoft Live OneCare as website service (link: http://onecare.live.com). OneCare founded few invalid register entries and repaired or deleted them.

Could you tell me, where OneCare saved report or log file about this operation? I have to check what OneCare modified in my registry.

• Edited by Aessar Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:18 AM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:41 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare General)
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:14 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:16 AM

All replies

• From the Safety Scanner Communities: http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/board.aspx?BoardID=225

OneCare safety scanner team
    Message #1 - 04/03/06 05:03 PM
    We've noticed a fair amount of feedback regarding the registry cleaner and even some reports of issues coming up with other anti-virus or anti-spyware software after a registry clean. If you run the registry scanner and notice that you are experiencing new issues you can restore the reg keys with the following instructions.  ->Double Click "My Computer" on your desktop->Double Click "Local Disk (C:)" (usually C: but might be something else in some cases)-> Double Click "Documents and Settings"-> Double Click your user name folder, typically your name or the username you use to login to your machine->Select "Tools" in the menu up top->Select "Folder Options"->Select the "View" tab->Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders"->Select "Apply" at the bottom of the window and then "Ok"->Double Click "Application Data" folder->Double Click "Windows Live Safety Center" folder->Double Click "BackUp" At this point you should see a list of back up files from your registry cleans. They should be called WLSC_Backup_Year_Month_Day_Time. You will want to double click a Registry Entries file type to restore your keys back to their original state. Please let us know if you have trouble with this process. We'd love to hear about your results if you restore your machine.  Regards,Marisela
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Edited by JimR1Moderator Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:16 PM Added link.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Since the Safety Scanner team wrote the above instructions in 2006, there has been a change to the stored location of the Safety Scanner undo .REG files.  Copy the symbolic name below instead of the above file location directions, and then click Start > Run > and paste it into your run command box to locate your own current undo files:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live OneCare safety scanner\BackUp

For additional help, the OneCare Safety Scanner community forums are located here: http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/forum.aspx?ForumID=13

Regards, Dave
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Thanks Dave. I guess I need to update. : )
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:18 PM
  • I had used Bing for the first time to find out the location of the log files for Live OneCare.  I am sure that the original poster for this question was satisfied for the response, I still need to know the location.  I need to print the report showing the Virus files, Addware and such removed from my system.  I can pull up a report showing the files, but I can not print nor can I copy and paste into Word to print.  Could you please let me know the location of the log file so that I can print it?

Thanks,
    Terry Scott Keister
    Terry.Scott.K@Live.com
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:45 PM
  • I had used Bing for the first time to find out the location of the log files for Live OneCare.  I am sure that the original poster for this question was satisfied for the response, I still need to know the location.  I need to print the report showing the Virus files, Addware and such removed from my system.  I can pull up a report showing the files, but I can not print nor can I copy and paste into Word to print.  Could you please let me know the location of the log file so that I can print it?

Thanks,
    Terry Scott Keister
    Terry.Scott.K@Live.com

Are you referring to the installed OneCare? if so, open OneCare, click change settings, create support log on the logging tab.
    On my Vista machine, this path:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Windows Live OneCare contains a file called Support Log.HTML and that's the one that displayed when creating the support log from within OneCare. If you open that file with IE you should be able to copy and paste the details you desire from it.
    The actual log files are not in a format that you and I can view.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:07 PM