Can't see Home Server in TV RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I still have Windows Home Server 2011 where I have music, pictures and videos. My TV is also in local net. Some time ago I saw the files in my TV, but after some Windows update, I can't see the hole server at all. Could anyone tell, what should I do.

On the other hand, which Windows system could do the same (show pictures etc. in TV)?

Nikorios

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I known, the Essentials 2012 media sharing feature will work with any DLNA-compatible device, not just Microsoft clients. And media sharing works outside the normal Windows access rights controls. 

Once the media sharing is on, it is globally available for browsing and playback by any compatible client on the network. And that includes devices and PCs that are not part of the domain.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Nikorios Monday, May 8, 2017 6:19 AM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check to see if other client system(Network – Media Devices) on the same network can access shared media on your WHS 2011.

Open WHS 2011 Dashboard - Server Settings - Media tab, check below options:
    1. If the Media server is: On, try to turn it off, and turn it on again to check the result. If the Media server is: Off, please turn it on.
    2. Media library – Customize, make sure relate folder is included.

Save the change and check the result. 

Besides, open Dashboard – Server Folders and Hard Drives – Server Folders, check the shared media folders and make sure that appropriate access permission is assigned. 

Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 Essentials can be considered if you want to replace WHS with newer OS version. 

You can download/install free trial version from Microsoft Evaluation Center:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials

Articles “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and Windows Server 2012 Essentials” may be helpful to have an further understanding:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200119(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, April 7, 2017 10:18 AM
  • Thank you very much Eve

It may be that I can test those things in the week-end.

Nikorios

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:22 AM
  • Thank you very much Eve

The Media Server was off and I turned it to on. I haven't turned it off so there may be some update that made it.

I have also a Server 2012 license but is it secure to use it as a media server?

Nikorios

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Media Services not supported on Windows Server 2012:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/randomnumber/2012/11/14/windows-media-services-not-supported-on-windows-server-2012/

If it is Windows Server 2012 Essentials, as it is later/replaced version of SBS/WHS, it will make a better experience. 

Reference “Manage Digital Media in Windows Server 2012 Essentials” for more information:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj628151(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:13 AM
  • Thanks again Eve

Now I noticed that I can't use Windows Server 2012 Essentials as a Media Server because it uses domain and so it can't be seen on my TV because it is in a Workgroup. I'll tell more of my situation in the discussions Windows Server 2016 Essentials and accounts.

Nikorios

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I known, the Essentials 2012 media sharing feature will work with any DLNA-compatible device, not just Microsoft clients. And media sharing works outside the normal Windows access rights controls. 

Once the media sharing is on, it is globally available for browsing and playback by any compatible client on the network. And that includes devices and PCs that are not part of the domain.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by Nikorios Monday, May 8, 2017 6:19 AM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:30 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any more question/concern?

You can click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, May 8, 2017 2:32 AM
  • Hi Eve

I marked this conversation as answered because all the information I need now is on the other conversation.

Nikorios

Monday, May 8, 2017 6:21 AM