Corrupt master file table (MFT) chkdsk cannot fix RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We experienced a power outage that outlasted my battery backup.  I know that the server booted up at least once w/o 2 of my SATA storage drives connected.  I now have both of those drives connected and recognized under Disk Management where they are reporting a healthy status.  I am in a strange situation where my WHS boots up just fine and all of the shares and folders appear as expected.  However, I am unable to copy or open most of the files contained within those shares / folders.

I am receiving Network at Risk notices regarding file conflicts.

Plenty of errors in the System log stating...

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\K.

I have done this, which required a reboot of course.  During the chkdsk process, it notified me that the MFT was corrupt and attempted to fix it, but failed.

I am quite concerned at this point.  I have downloaded a demo version of Active File Recovery for Windows and tried to recover one of the small files to fit under their 65k demo version limit.  That file did not open successfully.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thx,
    Gaylen

Friday, December 31, 2010 3:56 AM

All replies

• It sounds like your power failure resulted in some significant disk issues. A corrupted MFT usually indicates at least some data loss, and if this has affected multiple drives you could have lost data even with duplication.

You can recover data from your drives individually; see this FAQ for more details. Probably this will be your best bet; assume that you're going to have to rebuild your server from scratch, pull the data drives, and recover the data onto the new build.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 31, 2010 12:52 PM