Network Extension of Drive Extender RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if this is practical, but when I was reading the "Death of the Drive Letter" post on the WHS blog, (http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2007/02/15/the-death-of-the-drive-letter.aspx) I was thinking that it might be cool if Microsoft could build some software into the connector to allow the client PC's to set aside some space to be used as secondary disks for Drive Extender. 

Obviously, you'd always want the primary copy of a file to be physically on the server, but the backup copies could live on one or more of the client PC's as well.  This virtual partition could also serve as a local cache for laptops that travel away from the Home Server (maybe with some Most Recently Used metrics to decide which files get priority).

Anyone have any thoughts on if this would be a good idea?  I like it because my current WHS machine has a single disk drive, and I worry that if I move too many of my important files to the share folders, they won't be duplicated anymore.  (Currently I duplicate these files between my two home machines with foldershare)

Sunday, February 18, 2007 9:20 PM

All replies

• I personally think this is a GREAT idea. (perhaps for WHS v2?)
    Friday, February 23, 2007 3:23 AM