changing one of my pc's service. RRS feed

• Question

• My main pc in my home got zapped by lightning. I hope I can salvage the HD. The power surge came through the eithernet cable and at the very least fried my motherboard. It won't power up or anything. Now the meat of my question. If this pc was the main one that my onecare live was set up on, how do I make a new pc take its place. Also I have never heard of, or set up a onecare circle. Any help would be greatly appreiated.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:45 PM

Answers

• Jim's answer is for how a Circle works in v2 of OneCare. Basically, all PCs on a subscription are part of a Circle, but only a Hub pc will see the status of the others. You do not need to use this functionality.

Now, to answer the original question - assuming that the PC is lost and you replace it, install OneCare from http://onecare.live.com and activate it with the same LiveID that you used to subscribe/activate originally with. The dead PC is no longer active or a part of your subscription, so no action regarding it is needed by you.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hello Jack, open One Care, select "Manage your One Care Circle", select "Make this a hub PC". Select "Add a PC to your One Care circle" and add any other working computers which have One Care installed to learn how other PCs are added. When your main PC is operational again, after installing One Care you can make it a hub PC if you wish. A One Care circle allows you to monitor the security status of all the One Care protected computers on your subscription from any of your computers.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Jim's answer is for how a Circle works in v2 of OneCare. Basically, all PCs on a subscription are part of a Circle, but only a Hub pc will see the status of the others. You do not need to use this functionality.

Now, to answer the original question - assuming that the PC is lost and you replace it, install OneCare from http://onecare.live.com and activate it with the same LiveID that you used to subscribe/activate originally with. The dead PC is no longer active or a part of your subscription, so no action regarding it is needed by you.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Steve I had a hard time finding this reply. I thought it would send me a notice to my hotmail. Oh well I got it now. I have installed OneCare on my new pc. I have tried to access or set up a hub, circle, or manage either of them. I was unable to do either one. The only thing I get from the "Manage your onecare circle" is "add a pc to your circle" or "Rename this PC". I am unable to see any other options to select. How would I go about getting to the "Manage your circle" another way. Do I need to make this my Hub pc? If so how do I do that? Thank you both for your help. 

Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:21 AM
  • The alerts service is spotty at best.

My PC here is a hub, so I had to go to Instant Support for the steps:

Manage your OneCare circle from a hub PC

On a hub PC, you can monitor the status of other computers in your OneCare circle and perform high priority actions. You can't perform low priority actions, such as installing Microsoft Windows updates remotely, from a hub PC.

Because a hub PC must be connected to the Internet to remain up to date and monitor the other computers in your OneCare circle, we recommend that you only make a computer a hub PC if it's frequently connected to the Internet.

To make a computer a hub PC:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Click Manage your OneCare circle.

–or–

If you've already set up a OneCare circle, click Your OneCare circle.

3. Click Make this PC a hub PC.
    4. Enter the Windows Live ID that you used to install OneCare, and then click Sign in.

Now, if the other PCs are *not* using version 2.0 of OneCare you will not see any PCs in your circle at this time. Once they update to Version 2 early next year, they will appear in the Circle on your Hub PC.

If you don't want to monitor the other PCs from a hub, you can click on Details next to your PC name in Manage Your OneCare Circle and click "stop making this a hub..."

-steve

Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:46 PM