WMP 10 on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

In addition to backing up my home systems, I want to use my WHS to watch streaming movies on a attached LCD TV.  I did some searches and it appears that the HP version of WHS includes WMP10 pre-installed.  However, I built my system and used the MS WHS package. It looks like it does not install WMP10.

Can someone please pass along instructions for installing WMP10?  I downloaded the XP version and tried to install it. But I get a message saying it is not compatable with my OS.

Thx,  Harish

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:31 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server Console - Settings - Media Sharing

click on the ON button to active the Windows Media Connect feature (of WMP 10) for streaming content

It is there - you just need to turn it on
    Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:47 AM

All replies

• Please do a search in the forum; I know instructions for installing WMP 10 are available here. Note that it's a bit of a hack; as you've found WMP10 isn't supported on Windows Server 2003-based operating systems.

However, the installation of desktop applications (including Windows Media Player) is unsupported. The recommended solution at this time is a "two box" solution, where your HTPC uses your home server as additional (network) storage, but handles media playing etc. itself.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Windows Home Server Console - Settings - Media Sharing

click on the ON button to active the Windows Media Connect feature (of WMP 10) for streaming content

It is there - you just need to turn it on
    Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:47 AM
  • Thanks -- turning on media sharing, ActiveX and making the website a trusted site got me going.  Thx again!
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:29 PM