Design question - WinForms app, occasionally connected to Oracle. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm starting a project that requires occasionally connected access to an Oracle database from a Winforms app and the sync services seem like a valid option. I've tried out the Rafik VS 2005 example with some success but have a number of doubts.

1. Can the data sync wizard for creating a Local Cache work with an Oracle server or do we have to code everything up? The Add Connection -> Change Data Source window only offers SQLServer datasource options.

2. I prefer to access the database server via Web Services? Would anyone recommend the combination of Web Services and Sync Services.

Regards,
    Lew.

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 5:09 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Lew,

the currect data sync wizard only supports the SQL Server being the backend server. you will need to write your own code ( which typically developers do ) build your own solution in order to support Oracle as the backend db server.

using Web Serivces with Sync Service is a very common scenario which is refered as Ntier configuration in the posts in this forum and the Sync Service BOL.

thanks

Yunwen

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Thanks Yunwen.
    Are there any examples of using n-tier configuration with non Microsoft SOAP Web services?

Regards,
    Lewis.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:04 PM