Bulk plan service activities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Is it possible to to automatically plan a bunch of service activities at once via a workflow or something smiliar?

Basically, if I have a bunch of contacts with a status of 'plan' can I run a workflow to automatically create appointments (service activities) for them?

Many thanks

D

Monday, September 15, 2014 7:59 AM

Answers

• Hi

I suppose it is possible.  I cannot remember if this was the case with CRM 2011, but with 2013 you can select multiple records and run a workflow.  You should of course first select all the applicable contacts and then apply the workflow.   You can create a custom view that will only show the contact records where status = 'plan'.  Then you can select all the filtered records and run the workflow against them.

If you want this process even more automated you will need develop some plugins using the SDK.

Lastly I am just concerned about the dates for the opportunities.  How will you decide on the dates or do you have logic to decide on the dates for you?  If that is the case you might need to look into the complexity of the business logic - the workflows are also somewhat limited to that logic. 

Christo Vermeulen

• Proposed as answer by Christo Vermeulen Monday, September 15, 2014 1:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ded_sec Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:03 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi

I suppose it is possible.  I cannot remember if this was the case with CRM 2011, but with 2013 you can select multiple records and run a workflow.  You should of course first select all the applicable contacts and then apply the workflow.   You can create a custom view that will only show the contact records where status = 'plan'.  Then you can select all the filtered records and run the workflow against them.

If you want this process even more automated you will need develop some plugins using the SDK.

Lastly I am just concerned about the dates for the opportunities.  How will you decide on the dates or do you have logic to decide on the dates for you?  If that is the case you might need to look into the complexity of the business logic - the workflows are also somewhat limited to that logic. 

Christo Vermeulen

• Proposed as answer by Christo Vermeulen Monday, September 15, 2014 1:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ded_sec Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:03 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Thank you for replying.

I've got the workflow working, so it'll change a field to 'yes' when the dates and other fields trigger it. I'll basically have 100 contacts with 'plan' or 'yes' for the 'Plan' field. Would I just select all 100 in a search, and then run the workflow against them. If I can do 20 a day, would it just plan the weeks worth of appointments based on first available appointment slot etc?

Monday, September 15, 2014 3:37 PM
  • yes that should work.  you can set the number of records displayed in you personnel setting under general.  The amount of records can be set to up to 250.  So if you only do about 100 is should be fine.  

I am not sure about the second question.  You can maybe test and see what happens

Christo Vermeulen

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:49 AM