Restore a non-system volume on client - what's the best way to do this from a WHS backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

One of my client machines has two drives - C: and G:

The C: drive (system volume) is fine, but the G: drive is failing. I've got a new HDD ready to replace it, but I'm unsure of the best way to go about it with regard to WHS. Ideally, I'd put the new drive in the client PC and then restore it directly from the most recent backed-up "G:" volume in WHS.

If it was the system drive, then I'd boot up with the restore CD and do it that way, but it isn't a system volume.

I could install the new hardware, mount a previous backup from WHS and copy files over to the new drive, but I'm worried that WHS would get confused about the backup configuration and see the new hardware as a new, different drive and not a replacement of the old G: drive (I don't want to change drive letters).

So, what's the procedure? The WHS help describes restoring individual files and folders, and describes restoring a system volume. But it doesn't describe a full restore of a non-system volume.

Thanks,

Tom

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:52 PM

All replies

• Replace the disk, boot from the Restore CD, and restore the most recent backup to the new disk. You may need to partition the disk first.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:33 AM