homeserver.com domain problems? RRS feed

• Question

• Is MS still having homeserver.com domain problems?  myname.homeserver.com, anyone(I've tried several).homeserver.com, and even just plain homeserver.com (which forwards to the WHS home page on microsoft.com) do not work for me from my place of work.  I can however access my WHS box using the IP.  There was some mention of this issue in a thread a few months back but I haven't seen anything since.

Thanks,  Kyle
    Monday, November 12, 2007 4:15 PM

Answers

• I think it's stale DNS.  I tried multiple PC's in multiple parts of the country - same result in all.   anything.homeserver.com times out.  dnslookup times out.   But works from the ip address and me.homeserver.com reliably works from non-corporate PC's.  I'll see if the IT dept will help me.

Thanks everyone.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:39 AM

All replies

• It's possible that your employer is blocking the ports necessary to access your server. Have you tried from another public location? (Kinkos, Library, Starbucks wireless)?

Erik

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Kyle, it's working here. Can you connect on https, rather than http?

Colin

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:58 PM
  • I don't think they can be blocking the ports as it works fine with the IP address.  When I connect anywhere outside the corporate network, it also works fine.  I'll open a case with my employer, but it seems odd - I work for a "large networking company" and our intranet lets in pretty much anything and everything from the web.  Like I said, even just plain "homeserver.com" which points to the Microsoft WHS home page, doesn't work.  That's why I think its a DNS issue.

Thanks,

Kyle
    Monday, November 12, 2007 8:43 PM
  • What happens if you run a nslookup YourWHSServerName.homeserver.com command while at work? Does it resolve to the correct IP?

Monday, November 12, 2007 9:54 PM
  • It does hint to there being a stale DNS server in your corporate network, though if you're having this problem on just one machine, have you tried going to a DOS prompt and doing the following?:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

Monday, November 12, 2007 10:02 PM
  • I think it's stale DNS.  I tried multiple PC's in multiple parts of the country - same result in all.   anything.homeserver.com times out.  dnslookup times out.   But works from the ip address and me.homeserver.com reliably works from non-corporate PC's.  I'll see if the IT dept will help me.

Thanks everyone.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:39 AM
  • FYI, I've often had these issues where I work as well. Most companies assign you an internal (10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x) DNS server so they can control what you can and cannot see. Often this is a firewall solution to blacklist sites. Unfortunately these are slow to find new DNS entries.

I've fixed the problem myself by sticking with MCI root DNS servers that I find work everywhere I've tried. So long as your IT department does not block access to these IPs or to port 53 (rare) then they will work:

You can still add these if you network card is set to DHCP by going to the advanced properties in your TCP/IP settings on your card and adding the above as additional DNS servers. I usually use 198.6.1.2 as a terciary DNS and leave it at that.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:16 PM
  • That worked!  Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:01 AM