"Not enough free storage to complete backup" error but a whole drive is almost empty? RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry another noob Q!

My mammoth 1TB backup finally sucessfully completed after 18 hours and I now have the following:

From Disk Manager:
      Disk 0 - 931GB, 8% used (Initial disk that I did all my first backups)
      Disk 1 - 931GB, 98% used (I added this disk then included in a PC backup an additional drive holding lots of media).

From Server Storage:
      Total Size: 1.82TB
      Free Space: 868 GB (PC Backups 974GB, System 20GB, Shared Folder 94MB)

During the overnight backup I got from another PC a Failure "There was not enough free server storage space to complete the backup".  The actual error messages from the WHS side were

Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(421) and

Unexpected error 0x70 from WriteFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\GlobalCluster.4096.dat: There is not enough space on the disk.

I thought I'd added the new 1TB hdd correctly to the storage pool but it looks like WHS only wants to use that drive not any of Disk 0....Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
    Nathan

• Edited by jmone Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:34 PM spelling
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:32 PM

Answers

• FYI - the WHS did an update (added KB961030) rebooted and I've since been able to do a couple of backups just fine.  I noticed that there was a period during these backups of "Reorganising Data on the Server" where some stuff was moved from one drive to another without intervention.  Who knows - maybe it is now fine!  I've just added another large source drive to backup so I'll see how it goes overnight.

Thanks of the ref to "Drive Balancer" which will be usuful when grow the number of drives shortly.

Thanks
    Nathan
    Monday, March 2, 2009 5:05 AM

All replies

• Update from the WHS box itself.  I have the following:

From Windows Explorer:
      SYS(C:) - Local Disk - 20GB Total Size - 14.4GB Free (obviously the WHS system partition)
      DATA(D:) - Local Disk - 911GB Total Size - 868GB Free

From Computer Management --> Disk Management
      Disk 0: SYS(C:) 20GB Capacity - 14.4GB Free
      Disk 0: Data(D:) 911B Capacity - 868GB Free
      Disk 1: Data 931GB Capacity - 16GB Free (note: there is no assigned drive letter for this disk)

Thanks
    Nathan
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 11:16 PM
  • Look on wegotserved, there is a utility for this. The author is Beefcake.

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    Monday, March 2, 2009 2:47 AM
  • FYI - the WHS did an update (added KB961030) rebooted and I've since been able to do a couple of backups just fine.  I noticed that there was a period during these backups of "Reorganising Data on the Server" where some stuff was moved from one drive to another without intervention.  Who knows - maybe it is now fine!  I've just added another large source drive to backup so I'll see how it goes overnight.

Thanks of the ref to "Drive Balancer" which will be usuful when grow the number of drives shortly.

Thanks
    Nathan
    Monday, March 2, 2009 5:05 AM
  • jmone said:

FYI - the WHS did an update (added KB961030) rebooted and I've since been able to do a couple of backups just fine.  I noticed that there was a period during these backups of "Reorganising Data on the Server" where some stuff was moved from one drive to another without intervention.  Who knows - maybe it is now fine!  I've just added another large source drive to backup so I'll see how it goes overnight.

Thanks
    Nathan

Based on your description, it sounds like Drive Extender wasn't running until your server rebooted.  In any event, all's well that ends well. :)

(Also, Drive Balancer is not needed for WHS.  It works perfectly fine without using that add-in as long as Drive Extender is running.)
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:52 PM
  • FYI - I got the same problem (when adding additional drives to WHS then backing up another target) and it was the same solution (just reboot).

All good - just FYI
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 9:51 AM