I can only connect to 4 computers on my network RRS feed

• Question

• I built a WHS this past weekend and everything seemed to be fine. After installing WHS to my server (2GB RAM, 2 1TB SATA drives, Pentium D processor) started connect my computers using the Connect software. I connected to 4 computers (1 wired, 3 wireless) and all looked fine. The next day I moved my server and when I turned on my 4 computers, the WHS Console icon on each of them were gray. I started trying all of the troubleshooting steps in the Connect CD docs and somewhere along the line everything started working. Why, I don't know.

So then this evening I tried to connect to 2 more computers (1 wired and 1 wireless) and the Connect software would complete the connection process.  I would get to the  to the "Joining Windows Home Server" page and get a green checkmark on it, but the part that said "Configuring Computer Backup" never completed and I would have a choice of 2 buttons, BACK or EXIT. I could never get any further than that and this would happen on both the wired and wireless machine.  However, I can ping my home server on both machines. In addition, 1 of the previously connected wireless machines started showing a grayed out WHS Console Icon and it says it's lost connection to the home server and I can't get that connection back.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do to fix this kind of problem.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:57 AM

Answers

• Sorry to get back to you so late but this is the first opportunity I've had to try your recommended fixes.

I tried the reboot and that didn't work so I thought I would uninstall the update you referenced.

However, I do not see any updates at all listed in my add or remove programs. So perhaps I should try to get the updates. I actually thought I had updated everything already.

I just checked and I had updated everything.

I finally got my other 2 computers linked to my WHS and the only thing I did different was rather than run setup.exe for the Connector software I ran whsconnectorinstall.exe and that seemed to do the trick.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:31 PM
  • I thought setup.exe would just be calling the whsconnectorinstall.exe too and it may be that all of this was just a coincidence but I wanted to let you know that so far the backups on my WHS seem to be doing fine. It is backing up all 6 computers and it even alerted me to the fact that one of my laptops had gone over 7 days without a backup. 

I want to thank you for your help. This is one of the best forums I have seen. The moderators are knowledgeable and prompt. You can't ask for much more than that. So thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by jmw45 Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    sometimes it helps, to restart the server, if this situation appears.
    If this does not the job, try to uninstall the update KB957825 from your home server via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (later you can install it again).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:03 AM
  • Sorry to get back to you so late but this is the first opportunity I've had to try your recommended fixes.

I tried the reboot and that didn't work so I thought I would uninstall the update you referenced.

However, I do not see any updates at all listed in my add or remove programs. So perhaps I should try to get the updates. I actually thought I had updated everything already.

I just checked and I had updated everything.

I finally got my other 2 computers linked to my WHS and the only thing I did different was rather than run setup.exe for the Connector software I ran whsconnectorinstall.exe and that seemed to do the trick.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Hi,
    you used the control panel on server and toggled the small checkbox to show updates in Add or Remove programs before?
    Normally it shouldn't make a difference, to use setup.exe or the msi file, since setup.exe mainly directs to the proper msi file according to the running OS version (32 or 64 Bit).
    So it may have been something else, but good to hear, that you got it to run.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:02 AM
  • I thought setup.exe would just be calling the whsconnectorinstall.exe too and it may be that all of this was just a coincidence but I wanted to let you know that so far the backups on my WHS seem to be doing fine. It is backing up all 6 computers and it even alerted me to the fact that one of my laptops had gone over 7 days without a backup. 

I want to thank you for your help. This is one of the best forums I have seen. The moderators are knowledgeable and prompt. You can't ask for much more than that. So thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by jmw45 Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:59 PM