Wrong icons displayed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

since today we're facing a strang problem.
    In our ribbon bar and in our sitemap wrong icons get displayed.

We are not sure what caused that problem.
    On the one hand we installed Rollup 5. On the other hand we used the the ribbon customization tool from codeplex:
    http://pragmatoolkit.codeplex.com/

I did some research and found out that the falsly displayed icons in the sitemap are referenced in the image:
    _imgs/imagestrips/control_imgs.png
    And all the falsly displayed icons from the ribbonbar are referenced in this imagstrip:
    /_imgs/imagestrips/ribbonhomepage.png

Those two images contain all the default icons.
    The images are referenced as background-images within the global.css.aspx page and the specific image is selected using x- and y-positioning.
    The problem now is that theses x- and y-areapositions of the image are incorrect and reference a different image.

How can that happen?
    I guess since the css has the extension .aspx, the css gets automatically generated.
    How can I restore the default global.css.aspx page?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Friday, October 28, 2011 3:05 PM

Answers

• I am going to guess the problem is related to the tools and the definition of the ribbon being wrong, not the global.css.aspx file.  That file should never be changed, and any changes would be very unsupported.  

I would export your sitemap and ribbon and closely examine the definition to see how to modify it to fix the problem.

Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Friday, October 28, 2011 3:17 PM
  • As far as I know this is not really a bug. The imagestrip has changed but the corrosponding style definitions have also been updated. This should cause the standard ribbons buttons to display correctly. If this is not the case it is most probably a caching issue. In that case the correct image is used but with the wrong styles. Clearing any client/proxy caches should resolve that problem.

If you are using the imagestrip in your own buttons. Than you should change the buttons to use your own images defined as web resources, this prevents changes in an update from breaking your own buttons.

Patrick Verbeeten
    www.patrickverbeeten.com
    www.wavextend.com

Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:02 AM
  • I just ran into this issue this morning on our staging environment for CRM 2011. We are in the process of migrating from CRM 4.0 to 2011. 

We have Ribbon Workbench installed.

I decided to update from Rollup 5 to Rollup 8 via Windows Update hoping to fix a few issues I have encountered.  My icons are now all incorrect due to the /_imgs/imagestrips/ribbonhomepage.png changing, which as Patrick mentioned above is usually due to the styles not updating.  The only Icons affected are the default/system icons, all custom buttons are referenced via web resources and are showing the correct icon.  After clearing the cache and finding nothing had changed, I searched and searched but have decided to backup the images stored under /_imgs/imagestrips and restore the old images.

I did find this which I think was created by the same person as this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/crmgerman/thread/d3beb78e-4c29-4e93-a5d1-31aa8687b5fc/

T
    he Google translate is pretty bad, but the only bit that I can decipher from the answer is that CRM 2011 rollups work differently to CRM 4.0, certain files will not be overwritten.  There are css files stored under the CRM Web directory that have been changed and hence will not be overwritten in the rollups??  I don't know enough about all this maybe someone else knows more.

Anyway, everything is working now with the old image files, not really the answer but it works :)

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:47 AM

All replies

• I am going to guess the problem is related to the tools and the definition of the ribbon being wrong, not the global.css.aspx file.  That file should never be changed, and any changes would be very unsupported.  

I would export your sitemap and ribbon and closely examine the definition to see how to modify it to fix the problem.

Jamie Miley
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Friday, October 28, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Hello Jamie,

thanks for your response.

I'm very sure that the problem is not within the customization.xml file.
    The definitions for the button icons are correct.
    I.e. the sharing button on the account entity:

<Button Id="Mscrm.HomepageGrid.account.Sharing" ToolTipTitle="$Resources:Ribbon.HomepageGrid.MainTab.Actions.Sharing" ToolTipDescription="$Resources(EntityPluralDisplayName):Ribbon.Tooltip.Share" Command="Mscrm.ShareSelectedRecord_Custom" Sequence="50" LabelText="$Resources:Ribbon.HomepageGrid.MainTab.Actions.Sharing" Alt="$Resources:Ribbon.HomepageGrid.MainTab.Actions.Sharing" Image16by16="/_imgs/ribbon/Sharing_16.png" Image32by32="/_imgs/ribbon/Sharing_32.png" TemplateAlias="o2" />

Moreover, all button-icons are incorrect on the ribbons. Even the ones that are not specified in the RibbonDiffXML part of the customization.xml file (i.e. "save", "save as"...)

Now on the website the image of the sharing button references the ".ms-crm-ImageStrip-Sharing_16" class - which seems correct.
    But that css class defines a background-position of the imagestrip, that displays a totally different icon than the expected sharing icon.

.ms-crm-ImageStrip-Sharing_16{background:transparent url(<%=CrmUri.Create("/_imgs/imagestrips/ribbonhomepage.png").ToString()%>) no-repeat scroll -1px -497px;width:16px;height:16px;overflow:hidden;}

I bet you have different position background-position for that css class than I have.

Thanks again for your help,
    Thorsten

Monday, October 31, 2011 8:29 AM

• OK everybody,

I think I found a major bug in the new Rollup 5.

I installed a fresh CRM Server and compared the files.
    The icons in the referenced imagestrip files (here ribbonhomepage.png) are completely differently arranged.

Doesn't have everyone else who installed Rollup 5 the same bug?

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Hmm, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this with rollup 5.  This is the first time I have heard of this issue.

Jamie Miley
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Monday, October 31, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Getting the same issue. Still searching for an answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:26 PM
  • Brad,

Did you also use the ribbon customization tool in your environment?

Jamie Miley
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Monday, November 14, 2011 1:38 AM
  • No ribbon customization tool used in the environment.

• Edited by Brad Gillan Monday, November 14, 2011 7:10 AM missing word
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:00 AM
  • We have the same issue in our environment, any news regarding the wrong icons?
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:26 AM
  • This is pretty strange and I have never heard of it outside of this thread.  I would maybe open a case with MSFT.

Jamie Miley
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:22 PM
  • That will be the next step, but could you be so kind to upload your correct ribbonhomepage.png? I will try replace and see if that solves my problem!

Thanks!

Thursday, May 3, 2012 10:14 AM
  • As far as I know this is not really a bug. The imagestrip has changed but the corrosponding style definitions have also been updated. This should cause the standard ribbons buttons to display correctly. If this is not the case it is most probably a caching issue. In that case the correct image is used but with the wrong styles. Clearing any client/proxy caches should resolve that problem.

If you are using the imagestrip in your own buttons. Than you should change the buttons to use your own images defined as web resources, this prevents changes in an update from breaking your own buttons.

Patrick Verbeeten
    www.patrickverbeeten.com
    www.wavextend.com

Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:02 AM
  • I just ran into this issue this morning on our staging environment for CRM 2011. We are in the process of migrating from CRM 4.0 to 2011. 

We have Ribbon Workbench installed.

I decided to update from Rollup 5 to Rollup 8 via Windows Update hoping to fix a few issues I have encountered.  My icons are now all incorrect due to the /_imgs/imagestrips/ribbonhomepage.png changing, which as Patrick mentioned above is usually due to the styles not updating.  The only Icons affected are the default/system icons, all custom buttons are referenced via web resources and are showing the correct icon.  After clearing the cache and finding nothing had changed, I searched and searched but have decided to backup the images stored under /_imgs/imagestrips and restore the old images.

I did find this which I think was created by the same person as this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/crmgerman/thread/d3beb78e-4c29-4e93-a5d1-31aa8687b5fc/

T
    he Google translate is pretty bad, but the only bit that I can decipher from the answer is that CRM 2011 rollups work differently to CRM 4.0, certain files will not be overwritten.  There are css files stored under the CRM Web directory that have been changed and hence will not be overwritten in the rollups??  I don't know enough about all this maybe someone else knows more.

Anyway, everything is working now with the old image files, not really the answer but it works :)

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:47 AM