WebDAV: Excel 2013 truncates the encoded URL at # (%23) RRS feed

• Question

• (originally posted in Open Spec forum, but was asked to repost here)

We encountered a problem  on our existing WebDAV server with Office 2013. When a file name contains a number sign (aka hash, aka pound sign), Excel truncates the URL at that sign. Note that the URL is properly encoded, i.e. "#" is replaced with %23.

Word and Powerpoint behave properly and have no issues opening files via URLs containing %23. E.g, for the URL http://server/otcsdav/nodes/1500722/doc1%23end.docx, Word first calls OPTIONS on  otcsdav/nodes/1500722, then HEAD otcsdav/nodes/1500722/doc1%23end.docx, then eventually a GET.  The file opens successfully as "doc1#end.docx", gets locked, edited, updated and unlocked.

Excel, however, truncates the URL (http://server/otcsdav/nodes/1500722/excel1%23end.xls), and sends HEAD for /otcsdav/nodes/1500722/excel1, which, of course, returns 404.

Funny enough, double-encoding (i.e. to %2523) seems to work for Excel, but breaks everything else. I.e, with url = "otcsdav/nodes/1500722/excel1%2523end.xls" Excel sends HEAD for "/otcsdav/nodes/1500722/excel1%23end.xls", while Word will send HEAD for the URL verbatim, i.e. "/otcsdav/nodes/1500722/doc1%2523end.docx"

Does anyone know it it's an Excel bug? is there anything we can do to circumvent this?

P.S.1 Excel 2010 works just fine, the issue first appeared in Excel 2013.

P.S.2 I know that Sharepoint doesn't support "#" in filenames. Our server is NOT Sharepoint, and "#" doesn't seem to be disallowed in WebDAV protocol.

• Moved by George Hua Friday, September 26, 2014 6:39 AM Moved from Excel for developers forum
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:04 PM

Answers

• Because WebDAV is integrated into IIS I'd ask them over here.

Microsoft Intertnet Information Server forums

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Friday, September 26, 2014 3:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, October 3, 2014 9:45 PM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Maria,

This forum is used to discuss questions about Excel for developers, most probably the issue is related to code.

According to your description, it seems the issue doesn't meet the topic. It might be related to how the server analysis the URL and find the corresponding file.

I have moved this thread to "Where is the forum for" forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

George.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 26, 2014 6:38 AM
  • Because WebDAV is integrated into IIS I'd ask them over here.

Microsoft Intertnet Information Server forums

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Friday, September 26, 2014 3:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, October 3, 2014 9:45 PM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 10:55 AM