Windows Home Server 2011, Linksys e3000 and Motorola NVG510 Uverse RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have WHS 2011 and a Linksys e3000.  When I was running through a Wintel DSL modem on my old AT&T service, I had no problem accessing my home server webpage from laptops or smart phones away from home.  When upgrading to Uverse, though, the equipment they provided was a NVG510 wireless gateway.  Because the Linksys router is dual band, I wanted to keep that as my wireless router and let the Motorola device act as a modem/gateway by disabling all wireless capability.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to get to the webpage and AT&T as well as Motorola have been just about useless.  I'm guessing that possibly I can get remote access through some kind of port forwarding or passthrough, but that's the out limits of my skill set.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  Any solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

James E. Brooks
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:43 AM

All replies

• The Motorola device3 is probably acting as a router, from your description, and your Linksys is too. The easiest thing to do is to set the Motorola device to passthrough or bridged mode.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:40 AM
  • Right.  I've tried to set the Motorola gateway as a modem, but I believe that I've missed something having to do with its firewall above and beyond disabling the wireless function.
    James E. Brooks
    Friday, February 3, 2012 6:07 AM
  • Possibly the AT&T or Motorola forums or customer support will be able to help you figure out how to put your modem into bridge mode. Failing that, try this search.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the links.  This thing is going to be  the death of me.  I followed the directions in the first link and reviewed those in the second search link.  I followed the first set of instructions and wasn't able to get remote access.  In the next few days I'm going to go through the information from the link on the second search you provided.  I'm also going to post in the uverse boards and see anyone has the same hardware and access problem.  If I find anything specific over there, I'll share it here.

Thanks again!

Jim

James E. Brooks
    Monday, February 6, 2012 5:50 AM