none
PlugPlayManager Event ID: 257 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My System Event log has close to 100,000 of these events logged.  I have the first and last one listed below.

Any ideas what would cause this? 

Thanks

Ken

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: PlugPlayManager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 257
    Date:  7/15/2009
    Time:  2:47:14 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: WHS-SERVER-1
    Description:
    Timed out sending notification of target device change to window of "C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE"

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

---------------------------

Date:  7/16/2009
    Time:  12:07:17 AM
    Description:
    Timed out sending notification of target device change to window of "C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE"

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

My System Event log has close to 100,000 of these events logged.  I have the first and last one listed below.

Thanks

Ken

Description:

Description:

See KB835473 and KB924390 for some info that might help.  Although, unless it is a real problem (as in something isn't working correctly), I would suggest you leave it alone.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Okay. The events you see are, in general, considered to be harmless. They will cause the event log to fill up, however, and may (if the event log grows without limit) fill the system drive.

One thing that's always worthwhile when experiencing (or suspecting) disk issues is to run chkdsk on all the disks in your server. Windows Home Server does run chkdsk daily, but becuase certain "errors" are actually transient it won't alert you with a network health warning until errors are detected for several days in a row.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks

Ken

Description:

Description:

See KB835473 and KB924390 for some info that might help.  Although, unless it is a real problem (as in something isn't working correctly), I would suggest you leave it alone.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. 

My server hung yesterday, which led me to searching why.  That's when I found all of the events and didn't know if they might be the cause of the hang-up.

I'll watch it more before doing anything.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Have you recently change your ahrdware or software configuration in any way?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:38 PM
  • No, I've not made any changes in quite awhile.  Just loading it up with content...
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Okay. The events you see are, in general, considered to be harmless. They will cause the event log to fill up, however, and may (if the event log grows without limit) fill the system drive.

One thing that's always worthwhile when experiencing (or suspecting) disk issues is to run chkdsk on all the disks in your server. Windows Home Server does run chkdsk daily, but becuase certain "errors" are actually transient it won't alert you with a network health warning until errors are detected for several days in a row.

Friday, July 17, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the information.  I will definitely wrong chkdsk when I get home.

Good to know this is harmless, my fear is filling up the event log and my drive.

My qsm logs are quite large as well, but I've read that this is normal.

Again, thanks for all the assistance.

Ken
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the information.  I will definitely wrong chkdsk when I get home.

Good to know this is harmless, my fear is filling up the event log and my drive.

It shouldn't unless you've changed the default settings for the maximum log size (which is 16384 KB).

My qsm logs are quite large as well, but I've read that this is normal.

Again, thanks for all the assistance.

Ken

Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:27 AM
  • I've not changed it, so I should be good.

Ran chkdsk lastnight, it ran for hours...  No issues were found.

Thanks
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:29 AM