Persisten error on update attempts RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS2011 for the past few months has been returning 'Failed update' messages for two critical updates, net framework 4  and Windows defender.

I am not totally sure the updates are actually intended for my 64-bit version, but what annoys me intensely is that whenever I click on further info from MS help, the system asserts that I have NO internet connection and it can't oblige... This is patent nonsense, as I have a perfectly functioning connection using a Fritzbox 7390 and a Netgear Gigabit switch.

I find some references to a "Roll-up 2" for WHS2011 which I don't think are installed on my system: should I try to install this roll-up first and then pursue the failed updates?

Cheers,

LMH

"The price of comfort is eternal maintenance" (LMH, ca. 1982)

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hi LMH, you can check the following KB article regarding the issue:

Error codes “0x80070643” or “0x643” occur when you install the .NET Framework updates

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 7, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Thanks Sean, that looks exactly like what I needed - will try fixes 1 or 2 from the KB article ASAP and report back!

Cheers,

LMH

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hi LMH, if you go to Windows Update - View Update History - right click on the failed update and choose "View details" , is there any detailed error message or error code?

Sean Zhu

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Thanks Sean, yes there is "Error 643" " and "Windows encountered an unknown error" - trouble is that when I try to obtain online help for this error, I am told (wrongly) that I'm not connected to the Internet...

If it is an unknown error, what's my chances to deal with this?

NB: Just tried to install the three Important Updates relating to .net framework 4 again - failed again with same error message, very frustrating!

Cheers,

LMH

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Hi LMH, you can check the following KB article regarding the issue:

Error codes “0x80070643” or “0x643” occur when you install the .NET Framework updates

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Sean Zhu

Monday, May 7, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Thanks Sean, that looks exactly like what I needed - will try fixes 1 or 2 from the KB article ASAP and report back!

Cheers,

LMH

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Hi Sean!

You put me on the right track, thanks. The Fixit approach did not work, but I downloaded the full dotnet4 installer and opted to 'repair' my installation. Bingo!

Cheers,

LMH

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 9:00 AM